Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 in .38 Spl?

GOF

I tried N310 in long colt, i found it to be inconsistent and erratic with 160's. I think with lighter bullets it would be alot worse.

I was lead to understand there was an old version of the VV loading manual that in fact did have 310 data for 38 special but it was removed, this is a hint I think...

Thanks seanc. If it was erratic in the smaller internal volume of the 38LC case it could be a real mess in the larger 38 SPL... maybe even detonate instead of 'burn'.. I think I'll forget about it in those 2 calibers. I only asked because a buddy gave me a pound to try. I think I'll leave it on the shelf. I've got 4 pounds of 231 coming in, and I know that powder inside and out in .38.

He also gave me a pound of N350, and after running it through my rotors to get charge weights I'm not impressed. It's a stick powder and seems to bridge in the drum and charges were a bit erratic (about .5 grains spread). Might be able to use it in 9mm for practice loads and will probably try it in .38 SPL. I'll post the results if I do.

OK guys, correct me if I'm wrong. N310 is great in .45 ACP because of the greater case volume = less pressure. .38spl also has less case volume, to much maybe?

That logic seems to follow.

I was not even making 120pf with 160 bayous and federal primers were completely smashed and the velocity swings were 50 +fps.

I'm not saying it can't work, it clearly can be made to work with the right bullet.

For what I am trying to do, there are better choices...

Edited by seanc

Sorry, I meant to say the .38spl has greater case volume than say the 9x19. Some use N310 in 9mm with 147 gr. bullets. It works but the potential for fireworks is there. I've used N320 with success for my .38spl competition loads.