Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Tanfoglio 1911 newb questions

bayougump

Gents,

Santa brought me my 6th Tanfoglio for Christmas but my first ever 1911. I plan on using it in SS in the future. I am familiar with the upgrades in Limited, Production, and Open but not so much in SS. Maybe some can help with some questions.

What Magwell is recommended or should I say preferred in SS guns and do they have to be custom fitted? My Henning mag wells on my Limited and Open guns were easy to install myself.

What internal modifications are the norm for setting up a SS 1911 for USPSA?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tanfo 1911 they can share?

Any comments or thoughts will be appreciated.

Gump

The Dawson ice magwells are popular, it's what I chose. The techwell magwells are nice too. No fitting with the ice, you replace your mainspring housing with theirs and it screws to the bottom of it.

Trigger work is common.

Whatever you hang off the gun, it has to make weight and fit in the box. Most parts are designed to fit in the box, but it's best to confirm by scaring up a box to try.

It's on the EAA website:

http://eaacorp.com/hand-guns/

Some magwells will require fitting due to variances in manufacturing tolerances. There are many 2-piece magwells on the market, and they are generally not as reliable/robust as those that are integral to the MSH (Smith & Alexander) or those that use the MSH pin or are integral to the grips. I love the Techwell systems, but they are expensive. For a cheap and relatively easy fit, go with S&A - they usually just need to have the tangs bent to meet the frame to be a good enough fit. The Techwell may require some filing to fit snuggly. Watch the weight limit if you're starting with a heavy gun.

From their site.

This semi-automatic single action pistol is based on the classic 1911 A1 model and it is ideal for target shooting.

The pistol has a single action trigger, a “cocked and locked” safety and wooden grips. The magazine holds 8 rounds and it has a plastic pad.

This model is not available for U.S.A. market.

Where did you get it?