Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would like to install Linux on an aging PC (no double boot, just get rid of the evil MS Win). Red Hat, Suse? My head is spinning, which (free) Linux should I install for most ease in configuring for web browsing and StarOffice use?

--Detlef

Probably better answered by someone like Rob Boudrie, but neither Redhat (definitely) or Novell SUSE (apparently) are free, unless in the case of Redhat 9, you find an old copy on a ftp site somewhere. [update: Redhat 9 is still on the Redhat ftp site and appears to be everywhere else on mirror sites still, as well.] Redhat's free offering is called Fedora now, and I'm not sure how much stuff comes with it.

Some friends jumped to Slackware when RedHat went $$$. At least one guy I know is using it at home so he doesn't have to use a windows machine. He is enrolled in a online MS program that uses all win apps and he is able to work off his slack machine. He also has a bunch of machines running it in a test lab. Slack is a bit more geeky than RedHat. Still "free" AFAIK. Check out http://www.slackware.org/

The distros have gotten so large that they are no longer available as downloadable iso files. You have to use BitTorrent to get them. Or, you can pay for the CD version. Still free, for a small fee. :huh:

Later,

Chuck

My personal preference is Debian. I've been a Debian user for almost 7 years. I started with RedHat, and my recent experience with RedHat Enterprise for a project at work was ok. A friend at work uses Gentoo, others use Slackware.

I like Debian, and am not inclined to change distros.

which (free) Linux should I install for most ease in configuring for web browsing and StarOffice use?

--Detlef

Since you put it like that, best bet would be Redhat or I hate to say it Mandrake, you need to stick with something rpm based to keep you from having to compile and install everything from source....alot also depends on the hardware your aging machine has as well.

which (free) Linux should I install for most ease in configuring for web browsing and StarOffice use?

--Detlef

Since you put it like that, best bet would be Redhat or I hate to say it Mandrake, you need to stick with something rpm based to keep you from having to compile and install everything from source....alot also depends on the hardware your aging machine has as well.

Thats not true. You can pretty much install most all the distros without having to compile anything. And compiling an app on debian is as simple as "apt-get source -b packagename"

--Detlef

Thats not true. You can pretty much install most all the distros without having to compile anything. And compiling an app on debian is as simple as "apt-get source -b packagename"

I wasnt refering to compiling to get linux installed....apt-get and dselect can be discouraging to new users and can sometimes take a while to grasp, likewise I dont have much experience with the debian packaging system or debian, I strictly use Redhat 7.1 - 9

As a Linux novice, I tried Knoppix, which, as distributed boots only from CD. Good choice for a novice. You can definitely put persistent data and configurations on the hard drive, and, supposedly, it can be made to boot from a hard drive. Worked on both an older PC and laptop (~2000). It was much smoother than Fedora, which did not find all the hardware, and had to be reinstalled with different options a few times to get it running right. When the OS cannot find the network card, it is hard to get updates, etc.

A former coworker recommended Suse. Combination of ease-of-use and stability and similarity to other Linuxes (Lini?), which he claimed Red Hat/Fedora lacks. I suspect there are are old, pre-Novell distros somewhere. I may try that, too.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Novell SUSE stuff still free?

Well, I tried fedora and it works nicely, with the one exception that I mostly installed the thing for, INTERNET access! Ethernet interface always FAILS during boot, and the settings that I deem reasonable (DHCP, dynamic IP address) don't work. Any input?

But this may be worth a separate thread...

--Detlef

Is the Novell SUSE stuff still free?

Well, I tried fedora and it works nicely, with the one exception that I mostly installed the thing for, INTERNET access! Ethernet interface always FAILS during boot, and the settings that I deem reasonable (DHCP, dynamic IP address) don't work. Any input?

But this may be worth a separate thread...

--Detlef

what are the contents of the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file

Ethernet interface always FAILS during boot, and the settings that I deem reasonable (DHCP, dynamic IP address) don't work.

Ethernet was the hardware Fedora would not recognize for me. It took numerous re-boots with different settings to get it to work.

As for Suse downloads, googling "free suse linux downloads" will bet some good hits. Right now I do not have the time to mess with another install, but let us know ;)

Lee

Lee,

any hints on what you changed to finally get fedora to work your ethernet?

roboman,

this is what's in that file:

Device=eth0

Bootpr0t0=dhcp

Onboot=yes

Type=ethernet

Userctl=no

Peerdns=yes

Ipv6init=no

???? I use the cable co.'s internet facility (DHCP, dynamic IP address, all works fine when I connect my MS Win box). The error message is something like *cannot determine IP information for eth0*

Thanks,

Detlef

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

that is usually enough, make a backup copy of what you got now and edit the original to just those 3 lines above

and reboot or

restart the network with this command and see what happens /etc/init.d/network restart

Detlef,

My problem was more like "cannot find eth0" which it found during install but could not find during reboot. It could find eth1 but could not connect to eth1 in any way. Everything worked in Windows. At the time, my Internet connection was ethernet to wireless bridge, connecting to the router in the RV Park which was, at that time, my domicile. ("Have RV ... can work contracts anywhere ... and reload on the road").

Sorry not to be more help. I think when the Fedora configuration utility figured out what the hardware was, it got better. It was more of a "wrong driver" problem. By the way, my ethernet is on the motherboard; a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Gigabit chip.

Lee

what chipset does your network card use?

also run lsmod and post the contents

should see something along the lines of my output here

[root@robomansworld root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
autofs                 11780   0  (autoclean) (unused)
8139too                17088   1
mii                     3976   0  [8139too]
ide-cd                 32064   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  31936   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
usb-uhci               24356   0  (unused)
usbcore                73504   1  [usb-uhci]
ext3                   65280   3
jbd                    47468   3  [ext3]
[root@robomansworld root]#