Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Epiphany: Where to Look

Smitty79

I've been trying to train with purpose for the last 2 months. Near daily dry fire using drills, mainly from Ben Stoeger's books. The skill I've had the most problem with was my reload. I'm shooting a CZ85. It has no bevel to the mag well at all. I've been missing the hole a lot.

Today, I did a little over 50 dry fire reloads and tried to look at where I was missing the mag well. About 80% were on the back end of the mag catching on the back edge of the mag well. I shifted where I look at the mag well and did 10 straight smooth reloads at speed. I've never done that before. :D

Edited by Smitty79

I'm shooting a Glock 34 which has the "ICE " magwell. I initially looked down towards the butt of my pistol as I watched he'd the magazine being inserted!

I have found by practicing without looking down, focusing in on my next target. I am quicker to re-engage!

Not that I'm an expert, but focus precisely where you want to go. I use the "tip to tip" method of fingertip on bullet tip. I focus on the front of the magwell (on a glock there's a divot to aim for) and basically point my finger onto the front edge of the magwell. (I'm saying magwell for lack of a better term: I don't use any magwell add-ins other than a plug.). Because the magazine is behind my finger, it goes right in and my finger/hand slides up the grip as I insert the mag, putting me back into proper grip. That was my epiphany, anyway.

for the longest time i could never get my relaods below 1.7 secs .... i then made a sight change to the angle of the gun, enabling me to see the magwell better and my times started to drop ... this morning's dryfire session session included 1.2 sec reloads ...

A lot of great tips and drills on this post. I find that during a reload, I will slow down ever so slightly to "look the mag into the magwell." Specifically, I grab the mag from the pouch where I have the tip of my index finger over the top bullet in the mag and like jkrispies said above, I focus on that notch on my G34 and once the mag is inserted past the magwell, I will speed back up and slam it home. Weak hand slides nicely into proper position and I engage slide catch as I am presenting firearm to target. Another very critical aspect of a consistent reload for me is I anchor the elblow of my strong hand/arm into my side and present my gun where the magwell is angled toward my mag pouches located on my left hip. This anchoring of my elbow helps me develop a consistent spot I expect mag to meet gun. I hope that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to train with purpose for the last 2 months. Near daily dry fire using drills, mainly from Ben Stoeger's books. The skill I've had the most problem with was my reload. I'm shooting a CZ85. It has no bevel to the mag well at all. I've been missing the hole a lot.

Today, I did a little over 50 dry fire reloads and tried to look at where I was missing the mag well. About 80% were on the back end of the mag catching on the back edge of the mag well. I shifted where I look at the mag well and did 10 straight smooth reloads at speed. I've never done that before. :D

now you have learned many things such as picking the gun up from a table etc.....

you need to look at one very specific spot on the ________ (fill in the object)

I don't know who, but many years ago someone on here recommended putting a "dot" of paint inside the magwell where you wanted to look. I have used that ever since.

I used to climb when I was younger, so I use the colored tape that I used to use to mark my climbing gear, but once you determine where you need to look, a paint pen would work just as well.

post-9277-0-82718900-1420418986_thumb.jp

Not trying to be argumentative, but I haven't shot a match in a couple of years and am just getting back into the sport, ... just read the 2014 Rules / Rules Changes and didn't see anything that would prohibit it?

If you would, what rule prohibits the dot? Thx

Edited by CDRODA396

Buried in this thread is an NROI interpretation of App D rules 21 and 22. 21 talks about slide refinishing. NROI has added an interpretation that this includes the frame. NROI further noted that since refinishing can't provide a competitive advantage, and the dot does, the dot is not allowed.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125129&page=1

I could be wrong for 2015. But I couldn't find anything that would lead me to believe that this isn't current.

Edited by Smitty79

Smitty79, Thank You for that information/link. I stopped shooting not long before that thread/discussion/ruling took place. It made for very interesting reading, all ten pages, but I am headed to the safe to pull that dot of tape off!

Thanks again for keeping me straight! :bow:

I know it's unusual, but I focus my eyes an inch or so *below* the magwell, at the point the magazine will be in right before I slide it home. As soon as the mag comes into my center vision just below the magwell, I guide it in with my eyes.

What was happening when looking directly at the magwell was that at speed, it would occasionally get hung up or rattle in at the wrong angle. What I reused is that by looking into the magwell, I didn't see the magazine until it was too late to correct an error. By looking just below the magwell, and leading the mag the last inch or so with my eyes, my subconscious can see any errors and fix them in that brief instant before the mag seats. It's the same idea as pre-focussing your eyes on the spot the front sight will occupy during the draw stroke, so you have a proper sight picture the instant the gun gets there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty79, Thank You for that information/link. I stopped shooting not long before that thread/discussion/ruling took place. It made for very interesting reading, all ten pages, but I am headed to the safe to pull that dot of tape off!

Thanks again for keeping me straight! :bow:

I used the dot method when I was getting my reloads dialed in a few years back and eventually rubbed the dot off. Good thing I haven't re applied it! Glad I read this!