Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber grip too small

Malfunction

I bought a Kimber TLE single stack in May 2004 and it just has never felt right, I shoot a Glock 34 and it feels as natural as an old glove. I recently borrowed a friends Para 16-40 and that wide body feels good !

I thought about adding a Hogue grip but I'm not sure it will do the trick. I may have to sell and purchase a wide body, any reccomendations ?

Bill

the glock maybe your cheapest bet. as you could get a g22 40sw for $359 from ky-imports. the para would be the next step if you want a steel gun. then there are caspians and s_i brands. try to get your hands on each and see whats the best for ya. good luck.

1st question, what do you/did you intend on doing with this fairly new BLASTER?

If you are use to the tupperware grip angle adding an arched or wedge mainsring housing on the Kimber will get you closer to the grip angle of the glock.

As far as the girth of old' slabsides check out Brownells for a listing of aftermarket grip panels (you can use the info to ID the grip maunfactures and make some phone calls too) and pick up a set of wider grip panels.

This is the least expensive way to get the Kimber feeling like the grip angle/girth of a Glock if you chose to hold onto it.

$225 of grips later because I have big hands, the first thing I suggest you check out is an arched mainspring housing. Had I done that, it would have only been about $90 for the perfect grip.

The other thing you should consider is if it is the size, or the profile. To me the stock grips with a flat MSH feel somewhat like a baseball bat, and getting a consistant grip position was a real PITA. Switched over to an arched MSH and a pair of ergogrip panels which are a differen shape than normal 1911 panels and I'm pleased as punch.

As for adding bulk, a set of pierce grip finger grooves will add bulk to any panels, but for me it wasn't addressing the real problem. namely that the grip was fairly round, and my middle finger was providing most of it becuase it didn't fill my palm in the least.