Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on a SP-01 Tactical vs P-09 decision

Fenr1r

I live in California and a law is taking effect on January 1 where what kind of handguns we can buy new will be severely limited.

Anyway, I want to do USPSA production and I currently have the following stock CZs:

SP-01 Safety 9mm

P-07 9mm

P-09 FDE 9mm

I've been practicing lowering the hammer on my SP-01 but have yet to be comfortable lowering it all the way and much prefer the decocker to half cock on my P-09 and can shoot much better at half cock.

I shoot both guns pretty much equally well but prefer the trigger and grip of the SP-01.

Since I can only purchase one more gun before the end of the year I need to decide if I get a SP-01 Tactical with the decocker or something else like an EAA which would be for fun or possibly Limited-10 in the future.

What do you think? I've been reading the forums and I think the vast majority will say to deal with it and upgrade my existing SP-01 but if that is not an option what you recommend I do.

Thanks.

30 minutes of practice lowering the hammer and you're good to go

I saw the rolling your thumb out from in front of the hammer trick here and have been practicing that but when at the range my nerves get the best of me and I can't do it without thinking I'm going to screw up and just end up lowering it to half cock. I know it's all on me but my personal preference is just to stick with a decocker.

I saw the rolling your thumb out from in front of the hammer trick here and have been practicing that but when at the range my nerves get the best of me and I can't do it without thinking I'm going to screw up

Are you talking about at the range during a match? or at the range practicing? Because no one really cares if you have an AD while practicing. Just keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I manually lower the hammer on my cz at least 25-30 times every practice session. Never had an AD yet, so that makes me not worry about it happening during a match when it would count.

I would agree with the majority and practice decocking the SP01.

Shameless plug: But in case you are looking for another P09...I've got a brand new one worked over by Matt Mink (purchased from trgt on this forum). If you're in Southern California, we can PPT it but if you need it shipped I do have a barrel and sled you can use for SSE. =)

Edited by cjfung10

I would agree with the majority and practice decocking the SP01.

Shameless plug: But in case you are looking for another P09...I've got a brand new one worked over by Matt Mink (purchased from trgt on this forum). If you're in Southern California, we can PPT it but if you need it shipped I do have a barrel and sled you can use for SSE. =)

I'm in San Diego actually. North County.

I saw the rolling your thumb out from in front of the hammer trick here and have been practicing that but when at the range my nerves get the best of me and I can't do it without thinking I'm going to screw up

Are you talking about at the range during a match? or at the range practicing? Because no one really cares if you have an AD while practicing. Just keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I manually lower the hammer on my cz at least 25-30 times every practice session. Never had an AD yet, so that makes me not worry about it happening during a match when it would count.

At the range practicing. I must not still have it right because it either pinches my skin so it hurts or the hammer jumps the last little bit. Not sure if it would set off a round but I'm not ready to find out.

At the range practicing. I must not still have it right because it either pinches my skin so it hurts or the hammer jumps the last little bit. Not sure if it would set off a round but I'm not ready to find out.

I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not even sure how you would pinch yourself. Put your thumb in there nail facing hammer, flat against the slide. Pull the trigger. Roll bottom of thumb toward sights. Thumb comes out, hammer is fully down. Release trigger. Holster.

I seem to have acquired 2 SP-01 Tacticals sort of unintentionally. Shot them in Production the past year. Have them down to around

5 lbs DA, 2 lbs SA. You will never get to as short a reset or as good a trigger on a de-cocker/FP safety gun as the Shadow, but you can come close.

If you have the gun built--there are several gunsmiths that do CZ's. If you do the work yourself, make sure there are no women,

children or pets within earshot the first time you try to re-assemble the sear/de-cocker cage.

I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not even sure how you would pinch yourself. Put your thumb in there nail facing hammer, flat against the slide. Pull the trigger. Roll bottom of thumb toward sights. Thumb comes out, hammer is fully down. Release trigger. Holster.

Tried it your way, I had nail facing slide.. It works better thanks. I would rather have a decocker and start at half cock though.

Another variation on decocking the selective fire CZs is to put the hammer to half cock (pinch or slavex roll) then pull back on the slide to contact the hammer and lift it slightly off half cock, depress the trigger and let the slide forward and the hammer will follow. It takes some practice too.

Another variation on decocking the selective fire CZs is to put the hammer to half cock (pinch or slavex roll) then pull back on the slide to contact the hammer and lift it slightly off half cock, depress the trigger and let the slide forward and the hammer will follow. It takes some practice too.

I like this one, thank you for that.

I like this one, thank you for that.

With all due respect, you are making a big deal out of a 30 minute training excersize!

Being honest, if lowering the hammer on a live round with a CZ worries you that much, can you be safe/trusted running/walking/moving with a loaded gun without the safety/decocker activated? That is a real question.

Man up, you can learn to do it

Not sure I have much to add to the above other than I own both of the pistols you are looking at, and there is not a wrong decision to be made between them. Both will shoot anything I feed them, both are accurate to the extreme. Weight is quite a bit more with the 01-T, but it is well balanced.

The only dislike I have on the P-09 is the single action thumb safety. Coming from years of 1911 thumb safety work, the CZ design just does not work for me...my thumb slides over the thumb safety without disengaging it...unless I am really, really deliberate with it. I wish the safety had more of a shelf to it to engage the thumb. So, I shoot the P-09 DA/SA. My P-09 was built through CZ Custom and they did outstanding work.

As for decocking, just practice and you will find your own way. Always keep barrel pointed in safe direction, then experiment.

Good luck.