Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 extraction problem again

tk71

1911 9mm after about 1000 rounds extractor failed to work on 3 rounds out of 100 . It has already been tuned once. I ordered a new aftec extractor to solve the problem. What does everyone think of aftec extractors vs factory style.

Make sure you actually have a 9mm extractor and not a .40/.45 extractor. Make sure the hook is sharp and square and measure the tension using a Weigand gauge. I run mine between 15 - 20 ounces. I also have a 9mm 1911 (Trojan).

I don't run Aftec. A good standard extractor will work if properly set up and ammo is good.

Edited by bountyhunter

1911 9mm after about 1000 rounds extractor failed to work on 3 rounds out of 100 . It has already been tuned once. I ordered a new aftec extractor to solve the problem. What does everyone think of aftec extractors vs factory style.

Another problem peculiar to 9mm: if it is reload ammo, many times the brass is not sized correctly because the case has a specific taper. It will get a cork effect and be hard to extract. I had to do the "test drop" of each round in the barrel to sort the stuff that would not go in mine.

What does everyone think of aftec extractors vs factory style.

I think the Aftec can give you a slightly better margin to reduce tension related issues. I also think traditional works just fine, if properly tuned for your gun and maintained.

Ammunition inconsistency can & will bite you either way, however.

All of the ammo is reloaded mixed brass. Is the failure rate 3 out of 100 normal or am I expecting too much. I have 2 other 9mm pistols with external extractors and they have never failed with reloaded ammo.The 1911 cost the most and is the most unreliable.

All of the ammo is reloaded mixed brass. Is the failure rate 3 out of 100 normal or am I expecting too much. I have 2 other 9mm pistols with external extractors and they have never failed with reloaded ammo.The 1911 cost the most and is the most unreliable.

You might try dropping the rounds into the barrel and see if they drop in properly (you can hear the THUNK sound) or if you find some that are too tight to drop and seat. If you have some tight rounds, they will slip the extractor.

Some barrels are tighter than others, usually the best match grade barrels are the ones that are tight and the "service grade" barrels are looser so they would do it less often.

I can tell you that during the "tuning Process" of my only 9mm 1911, mixed brass on reloaded ammo was the most challenging. It was worked out to run 100%, but it took some time.

I use the Aftec on my 9mm STI race Gun. I also shoot only reloads in it. For the price of advise I feel its the best you can get. I have never had a FTE with it.

Now with that said, I have a machined 100 round load checking tool. I promise it it goes in it it will your chamber. Its not overly tight but I will cull 1 to 2 out of 100.

I can run those back through the final dies and they are just fine.

Hope that helps.

Trace, how are you liking DPC shot any matches yet.

Ken

I use the Aftec on my 9mm STI race Gun. I also shoot only reloads in it. For the price of advise I feel its the best you can get. I have never had a FTE with it.

Now with that said, I have a machined 100 round load checking tool. I promise it it goes in it it will your chamber. Its not overly tight but I will cull 1 to 2 out of 100.

I can run those back through the final dies and they are just fine.

Hope that helps.

Trace, how are you liking DPC shot any matches yet.

Ken

Nope Ken, it's funny how having a kid can change everything. But, life seems to be leveling out, so I hope to shoot a bit more this year....

I run all my 9mm ammo through a lee factory crimp die the last tune I had lasted about 1000 rounds with no fte. the first time it was about 700 rounds. From what I have read the aftec is the fix for shooting mixed brass.

From what I have read the aftec is the fix for shooting mixed brass.

By design, it provides for mixed brass. The Aftec can give you that extra margin to reduce failures...providing you do your part with reloading quality control. Which, it sounds like you are.

Go for it.

Edited by Yeti