Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Herter's Select Target Loads?

NorCal707

Any opinions on Herter's Select Target Loads in #7.5 or 8 shot? Cabelas sells it and shipping is free right now but figured I'd ask here about whether the stuff is decent or crap before I order any. Would be running it in my new JM Pro I pick up this Monday.

Edited by NorCal707

I have had a few issues with them. I have had a couple of shells that would not go off with repeated strikes and I have found the rims on the shells are out of round. When loading two in practice and at a 3-gun match I would stuff them in and one would pop out on the lifter. I measured the rims with calipers and found them oblong. When the "short" side of the shell was against the catch there was not enough meat there to hold the shell.

If you will be using these shells in an over under you should not have the problems I did except for maybe some bad primers. I found the shells to shoot and pattern as well as cheap Federal Champion shells. I didn't find them dirtier than anything else I have used. For $45 per case I would buy a bunch and use them for 3gun practice, trap, clays, skeet, etc., however I would not use them in a 3gun/shotgun match where you have to load on the clock.