Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 STI Questions

saibot

Hi experts!

I have a STI TruBor and have two questions about new parts.

I bought a new STI trigger, the short curved version to better accomodate my hand size. It comes attached to the trigger bow and looks like you have to replace the entire unit. Is that a simple swap out or does it require fitting or smithing? Can you just swap the paddle part on the stock bow?

I also put in the Brazos tuned trigger group and noticed the mainspring is much longer than the factory one. Should that be trimmed?

Thanks guys!

The bow (with trigger) should be easy to replace. You will likely want to adjust the pretravel via the tabs on the bow, and over travel using the screw accessible on the face of the trigger. Brazos has a great article on that.

As far as mainspring height goes, assuming your hammer travels through the entire arc as intended I think you should be fine.

You will need to remove the grip from the frame in order to replace the trigger. Do not remove the trigger from the bow. They are not meant to come apart. Generally speaking, the part should drop right in without any real fitting required. You will have to adjust the over travel screw a bit, but that is really about all that is required. There may be a bur or two that you might want to polish before installing. Nothing very difficult.

Thanks, guys! You're right, it is a bit daunting coming from the striker fired world. I helped a buddy replace his trigger on his 2011 last night (mine is still in the mail) and it took a little longer than I expected, but it went fine. We did have to remove some material on the top and bottom of the plastic trigger paddle because it was dragging pretty hard against the frame, and from the looks of it someone had done the same on the original one. We didn't make any adjustments on it with the set screw or the tab, which I think is the little part on the bow that looks like you can bend it out to adjust. The factory one wasn't bent so I didn't want to mess with the new part without knowing what exactly it would affect.

I really like the new position, but do feel like a have little less leverage on it, which is probably more just me being used to the original one. So I think I'll replace mine, too and try it for a while.

Back on the main spring topic for a second, the gun functions just fine with the new spring, but it sure seems like it takes quite a bit more effort to cycle the gun when the slide has to push the hammer back. I wasn't sure if this was how this upgraded trigger group should work, or if it was assumed that I would be trimming the spring.

So with all of that, is there a good resource on working on this thing like an AGI video? Something that is hopefully geared for the way we setup our guns for USPSA.

Thank you all again for taking the time to help out a 1911/2011 noob.

May have to remove a little from too and bottom. Very easy to to. Just put sand paper flat on board and run the trigger across it slowly and evenly. You can always take more off you can't put more back on. Resist the urge to go to town on it or use anything with a motor or a file. Plastic sands very easy.

You shouldn't have to trim the new main spring. The fact that the new one is longer could be that the old one was just tired and wore out. The old one may have become a bit sacked and that could be why it was shorter. I would try running the new one first before cutting anything.