Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm ballistic tip 200 gr

MarkR929

Does anyone know if they exist, where and how much for 10mm(.40cal), ballistic tip, 200+ grain, jacketed projectiles? I like Nosler and Hornady but open to others. I'm trying to extend accuracy range past 50 yds. and I just think they would look cool. If anyone has tried them I would love to hear how they perform. FYI, this is for my pistol, a match witness with extended barrel and comp.

Edited by MarkR929

I think extending a handgun's accuracy range past 50 yards might be best served by going to a Thompson Contender with a telescopic sight. The coolest .40 bullets I ever saw were a dozen or so that we once fired into an old "bullet-proof" vest to see whether the vest would still stop multiple bullets even though it was way (5-7 years) past the warranty period. The bullets were regular 155 grain hollowpoints at 1250fps and were manufactured for a federal government law enforcement contract. Fired from about 10 yards, each bullet mushroomed perfectly just like in the gun magazines (periodicals) and no, none went through the vest.

Looks like exactly what the original poster wants. But some of the reviews (from the above link) of these bullets stated that were getting 2,000fps from their rifles/shotguns (I'm not certain which) so maybe they won't expand at 10mm velocities. Also before I tried it, I'd measure the bullet diameter carefully to make sure its really 40 caliber since using them in a pistol wasn't what the manufacturer intended. And as always start low and work up carefully. Good luck.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I had a lengthy reply to this and the page froze up and I lost it. I hate to be the negative poster on this but this is a non-starter if you are looking to shoot this in a pistol. The problem you run into is the length of the projectile and how far you have to seat it into the case which them cuts down on your case capacity which affects your velocities. The way to get heavier bullets with enough case capacity is to get more of the mass of the bullet outside the case which frees up the case capacity. That is why you see all those hunting style cast bullets follow the LBT WFN style (almost full wadcutter) because they are putting the max weight outside the case but stay within the length restriction. To have a pointed more aerodynamic nose you have to have the weight to the back of the bullet which means you are taking up powder capacity.

Another thing to look at is take the distance of the round (1.260" LOA) and minus the length of the case (.992") and you end up with .268" to work with. Imagine trying to design a bullet where the pointed nose section starts and ends with a plastic tip and cram it into .268" of length. It is going to be a short stubby pointed bullet which defeats the whole point. Also since you want a 200+ gr. bullet you are going to have a small amount of weight outside the case and the majority of it inside the case which will kill you powder capacity for using slower powders and you will not be able to push it at any decent speed.

I have gone through all this because I make my own jacketed 10mm bullets and discovered this real quickly when I made up a 240 JHP. Looks great but takes up too much room so I would only be able to push it at a weak velocity, even in my 6" 10mm.

Now, if we are talking about the 10mm in a revolver then you can seat the bullet out to a longer LOA and have the powder capacity you need for velocity. I have successfully loaded and shot heavier bullet's out of my S&W 610 10mm revolver that I would never be able to do in one of my 10mm autos.

Neal in AZ

Thanks Intel6. That's some really good stuff that I didn't think of.

Nealio- when the OP wrote that he wanted to "extend accuracy past 50 yards" I thought he meant his groups weren't as tight out there as he desired.

This should probably be in the 10mm Reloading section, I guess.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I wanted to see if I can keep or even improve accuracy out to 80 or maybe even 100 yds.

If it can be improved even more at 50 yds, I would be interested in that also.

Much of what Intel6 said is what I was wondering about and unfortunately worried about (heavier bullets=less powder)

Edited by MarkR929

have a look in the CZ section. there's a guy shooting his CZ P09 with atlanta arms and ammo reloads at 100 yards and 200 yards. he has groups under 5inch at 100 yards and even his 200 yard stuff was pretty tight after his first shot to nail down the correct hold over.

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "extending accuracy past 50 yards". To some a 8" group at 50 yards is good, so some its not. I don't know what you are expecting, and what you are currently getting.

So it would be more helpful to say something like "I can shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards but at 100 they go into 12 inch groups"

OR

I can hit a 6" plate at 50y, but I can't hit an 8" plate at 100y and I would like to.

Mainly I simply thought it would look cool and wanted to keep what level of accuracy I had. To elaborate for other comments, I can get 10 shot strings with 4"-5" groups @ 50 yds. I want to keep that accuracy out to 80+ yds. (extending accuracy). Upon further consideration, longer distance accuracy may be affected more by my eyesight and red dot sight than bullet type. Info like telling me a very large/long projectile just doesn't leave enough room for enough powder to maintain accuracy, is what I was looking for.