Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun skill priorities

Dewberry

didn't want to hijack another thread so I started this.

In another thread Mark was talking about how working on certain skills can provide a more significant improvement than other.

Obviously things like decreasing down time between target arrays and good shooting will be high on the list and things like rifle reloads will be low on the list. But can yall help me fill in a pretty comprehensive list so I can figure out the best things for me to work on this off season.

Rifle distance shooting will definitely help especially in different positions and some not so stable or even off hand ones as you don't always get a good position available.

Shotgun loading is another one. The lightning fast ones taken prepping yourself and getting all ready to go, looking down at the caddies before you hit the buzzer and then go standing in your living room look good on camera to post online. Work more on getting consistent reloads in actual "match conditions" ie moving over stuff and actually negotiating around and not just standing there. I will take a slower CONSISTENT load I can do all day long and am not dropping shells etc

Practice shooting under different physical conditions to see how it affects your shooting so you can get a better idea of what you are capable of when you get there to shoot. If you have alot of long stages with a lot of movement this helps a lot. try moving running etc right before you get up to shoot some distance stuff. You should try and get a rough idea how fast you can move before shooting and get there as fast as you can in a way that it dosent affect your ability to make the shot. If you flat out sprint and get there to take your 300 yard rifle shot and your scope is bouncing all over because your out of breath it does you no good to get there fast.

Shooting on the move vs when not to shoot on the move. This has its advantages as long as its used right. What you don't want to do is do the foot shuffle where you are barely moving and your speed and accuracy suffer as a result. What you wanna see is how far of a target you can KNOW you got your hits and not just hoping for them while moving at a good pace. Try arrays with shooting on the move and posting up and see which is faster for you under what circumstances. shooting on the move is NOT always faster.

Work on kinda stage breakdown, how to minimize your movements and how to get into and out of positions and how to break down a stage well. Good example is for pistol on that is TGO. He dosent look near as fast as he is because he just flows through the stage so well and does not waste time with extra movement and he he gets into the position ready to shoot and leaves the position as soon as possible and dosent hang out. For 3 gun, Taran is another one who has extremely good movement. This can be done with stages and ports, prone positons etc set up and can even be done with a 22 as the movement and the time in and out is what your working on over just the shooting. Video this from a non body camera and see where you are loosing time. are you coming into a position with the gun up ready to go when your feet plant or are you wasting time getting the gun ready when you setup. When leaving are you ready to go and leaving when that last shot is broke. Movement is an easy way to pick up time.

Learn to haul metric tons of gear across shooting range facilities and hotel parking lots.

Learn to rebuild guns with a multitool on the tailgate of somebody else's truck.

Learn to use cleaning patches and duct tape to hold a thumbnail on until the end of the match.

Everything else will just come naturally. ;)

Wow!!! Readers Digest version.......shotgun loading, pistol accuracy (think 6"X6" at 25 yards) good rifle zero to AT LEAST 300 yards.....and a great plan of when to say enough is enough! (Dont miss long range targets with 30 rounds!)

Try chunking the information into groups of 8 or less. Pick reload spots and gun transitions for natural breaks.

Count your shotgun backwards ie 8 in the tube shoot 4 load 4 now you are back to 8 on your count. I never count the one in the chamber I don't like to run dry, even on the last shot.

Do a mental test run after reviewing the COF to see if you remember every shot without looking at the targets. May not be possible at matches like Ironman, but at least remember the arrays.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! Readers Digest version.......shotgun loading, pistol accuracy (think 6"X6" at 25 yards) good rifle zero to AT LEAST 300 yards.....and a great plan of when to say enough is enough! (Dont miss long range targets with 30 rounds!)

BUT......I hit it with my 38th shot! I only lost 41 seconds to avoid that 20 second enhanced penalty for long range targets.

This Kurt guy....listen to him.