Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Gunsmith

Jon,

These aren't necessarily "how to" books but they are written either by gunsmiths or by IPSC shooters/gunwriters:  Bill Wilson's two books on the 1911, available on his website at wilsoncombat.com; Layne Simpson's book on "The Custom 1911" or "The Custom Government Model," available either through an ad in Shooting Times Magazine or through Amazon.com or PaladinPress.com; Dave Lauck's two books on modifying the 1911 for combat or competition.  I'd have exact titles but as we're moving in two weeks most of my books are already packed and buried in a stack of boxes.  Wilsoncombat.com has a bunch of books listed in the specials/clearance section of their website at decent discounts, I'd check there first.  Wilson's own books are listed under parts for pistols.  Simpson's book would appear to be a comprehensive catalogue/evaluation of modifications possible on a 1911, one of the Wilson books was written in the same vein; Dave Lauck's focus is a bit narrower and more opinionated.  If any of the more experienced shooters have read any of these books, maybe they can provide feedback as to how relevant they still are ---- I think they were all written a decade ago.  Hope that garbled mess helps, I think I can get some sleep after we move.  (I could of course sleep now, but then I wouldn't be able to shoot five matches this month......)

(Edited by Nik Habicht at 6:37 pm on June 8, 2001)

I just got the books in from Wilson. They are good so far. I learned that the LE in Accu-Comp LE stands for Leatham and Enos. Man Enos is the Daddy Rabbit. Even though the combat auto is about 10 years old is has alot of help full info. And the maintenance manual I wish I had bought seven years ago. Thanks for the suggestions. Brownells is next.

• 2 months later...

If I may be so immodest...my first book has a chapter on the 1911, perhaps not enough info to invest if you're focused solely on the 1911.

The new one isn't about 'smithing, but the 1911 in general.  I'm working on a 1911 smithing book proposal, but the devil is in the contract, not the details.

• 7 months later...

I realize this is probably a dead subject (lastpost 7 mos old), but I will recommend Sweeney's new book (The Gun Digest Book of the 1911) for anyone generally familiar with 1911s and wanting to know more about things like variations, disassembly, reassembly as well as a review of several models from various manufacturers.  My wife didn't like it quite as much since it took me away from her for 2 - 3 days as I consumed it (or did it consume me :-) )

I digress (probably because it's just so darned fun...)

• 2 weeks later...