Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

starter gun?

I'd have to agree. I'm sure you could find a good used Glock 17 for about that. I use a really old G17 for USPSA Production/IDPA Stock Service Pistol/GSSF Unlimited & Stock/even PPC Stock Auto!

Good call shred!

Phil

Nice used Glock 9mm.

The Glock is a perfect 2nd gun. After you learn how to shoot.

Your best bet is a 22 semi auto. I know you said you wanted something a little bigger, but if you are learning to shoot a handgun, learn on a 22 and move up. I can't count the number of people I've had to help un-learn bad habits because they started with too much gun.

The 22 lets you focus on the real fundamentals, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger prep, trigger break, sights back on target. You're not fighting recoil and muzzle blast.

With a 22 you can afford to shoot more. You will get much better, much quicker.

My suggestion would be either a Ruger MII or 22/45 or a Walther p22. I think both can be had for less than $300, especially used. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

Also, take a class, or get someone who really does know how to shoot (IPSC B or better, IDPA Sharpshooter or better) to start you out.

DO NOT start by plinking at cans 20 yds away. Make 2 or 3 (or more) 1" circles on a piece of paper. Set the target 1 yard away (yes that is 1, one, uno). When you can put all the rounds in a mag (10?) into a circle, make the circles 1/2". When you can reliably do the 1/2" circles, back it up to 3 yards, then 5.

I know this is boring, but stick too it and you'll find 50yds on a 6" plate or 100yds on a 12" to be cake. You'll be hell on soda cans at 15 - 20.

ok second question i went looking at glocks and i have a friend who has a glock 19c he's willing to sell to me for $335 i know a compensated barrel can really help with muzzle jump do you think that would be acceptable or should i still really start with a .22 i've fired handguns before but nothing formal and i've never owned one.

I stand by my 22 recco.

There's still a fair amount more recoil from a comp'd 9 than a 22. Comps also by definition create lots of blast and fire that you can see, which can be distracting when learning. At an indoor range, depending on the ammo, it can be a pain in the ass.

You can't use the comped barrel in IDPA at all, and I think it would put you an a class with much racier guns in IPSC. You can get a non-comped barrel, but now you're spending more $$.

Lastly, if you're really thinking about home defence, comp guns are usually not a good choice. If you use ammo that will make the comp work, you'll pretty much lose your night vision at the first shot. Low flash ammo is easy to get, but it makes the comp much less effective.

Try going to a range that rents guns and try out 22's and 9s. If that's not practical, find a member on this forum close to you. The well likely be willing to let you use the blaster if you bring the ammo.

All sound advice. I will expand, and maybe you get two guns. Gun Geek is dead on with the .22 and practice regimen, the ammo is about .02 cents per round. You can find Ruger Mark 2 pistols for under $200 on Gunbroker.com and in your local shops. Shred and GMSHTR are right, you can also buy used Glock 9mm models 19 or 17 for around $350 on Gunbroker.com and in your local shops. Ammo for this can be purchased around .10 cents per round. Once again, practice is key. If you are going to take a class or shoot a match, you will need a pistol 9mm or larger, a holster that retains the gun and covers the trigger guard, a magazine pouch, and 3-4 magazines. I assume you already have eye and ear protection.

So save a little more money, find a .22 for $150, a 9mm for $300, and practice. You can improve a great deal with the 9mm by dryfire practice to familiarize you with the trigger pull and sights. Let us know what you get, and welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been looking at 22's and have yet to find a ruger under 200. But Any thoughts on the quality of Duramatic, Colt, or Pheonix arms? Of those Colt was the only one I had actually heard of but I've been hearing some nasty things about there M16's in recent years and was wondering if anyone knew if the quality of there pistols was also suffering.

If you are talking about Colt Woodsman, I've had good experience with them.

My advice to you is that if you're going to be a "self taught" shooter, and have an interest in self defense, be careful of "gunstore commandos". Specially take what they say about shooting technique with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

i say, buy something that you love. something you just can't wait to shoot. if you love it, you will shoot it a lot and improve. it doesn't matter why you love it, be it b/c it looks cool or it feels great. you don't have to like what the top shooters like. you don't have to justify why you like something. just learn to love to shoot and everything else will come later.

that being said, i like the beretta 92, springfield xd, and 1911s. also, the new beretta PX4 Storm looks promising. http://www.px4storm.com/

Springfield XD 5 inch tactical model in 9mm, Safariland holster and mag pouches and you're all ready to go.

And I would not even TALK to any gunstore commandos. Go to your nearest IPSC/USPSA club if you need to talk to someone.