Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig's answer to the STI Edge

Carlos

for ipsc rules, para guns can stuff as much as 20 and fit the box. not reloadable though.

for s_i the most i saw for their mags is 18. sps makes 18 round reloadable mags.

there is a thread that indicated 19 round brazillian mags for s_i.

If the sig can only hold 16 rounds, id stick with my svi since our medium courses usually is a 16 round course with an empty chamber.

I like the insurance of 2 more rounds. in my opinion only

"very adament that this would be the next big thing once the mag issue was sorted out."

Well that is the rub; for USPSA, NO ONE knows what the magazine capacity is going to be because 140mm magazines do not exist yet. Put Bevin Grams on the project & I would bet that the mags become competitive (capacity wise) with either the STI or the Para .40s in USPSA.

For IPSC/box rule mags, maybe our Brazilian friends can do better than the factory 16 rounders? If not them, then what about somebody changing to a different follower or baseplate?

Finally, as for cost comparison, Dawson & Brazos sell the stock STI Edge for between $1600-$1700. True, thats a lot less than $2400 price tag for the Sig.

HOWEVER, those same two STI dealers also sell the Edge that they put together themselves: Dawson for $2199 & Brazos for $2499 (these guns are still 2011s that start out as parts from the same STI factory, are the same action type, same caliber, etc). If the $1600 Edge works perfectly well & is supposed to be reliably competitive right out of the box, you would have to be stupid to spend an extra $800 for one - that is unless that $1700 Edge can somehow benefit in competition from an additional $800 worth of parts & gunsmithing. Suddenly a $2400 Sig (thats supposed to be reliable without extra gunsmithing & comes with a Sig recoil master) does not seem so ridiculously overpriced as a possibly competitive USPSA limited gun.

I am not about to switch since I own 2 of the CZ Standard IPSC .40s & I am not one of the fanatical Sig fans (I primarily shoot either an SV limited gun or my CZs) but now that the magazine ban is over, its time we had some real brand competition in USPSA's Limited division. I think it was a good move on Sig's part to support our sport with a dedicated product like the X5. I think every gunmaker should produce a dedicated Limited gun. Regards,

Douglas

The gun market is getting like the car market....stupid expensive...because we pay what they ask....2500 for a Sig is really stupid....they are making it for lots less than that and it could be a big seller if they didn;t mark it thru the ceiling....I would buy one for 1500 but not for 2500.... ;)

I went to the show and handled the Sig. For me it was a lot like other Sigs. The grip felt a little misshapen to me (thin at the top and bottom but with a palmswell type shape in the middle that did not lend it to feeling good to me) and again the bore axis is higher than on the S_I's. The trigger is nice but the hammer has that funky rebound feel that defines the Sigs. The reset did feel long and the trigger felt as if it was more rolling than crisp. Just my two cents is that if I were debuting a pistol for $2500 I would have been a little more attentive to the details like the magwell.

Take care Craig

What you don't get with the sig's $2400.00 price tag. Is the aftermarket support parts that are out there for 1911/2011/CZ guns . Even after having 3 classic style sigs and one sigpro I still think you would be better off with a 2011 limited gun.

Matt Kartozian of Custom Glock Racing was good enough to provide coverage of the SHOT show on his website & he posted a picture of Sig's USPSA competition Limited gun:

pictures

Among the special custom features, it appears to have a factory mag well, the frontstrap has real checkering, its single action only, it has adjustable rear sight, its heavy stainless steel with a long/heavy un-grooved dust cover and a price that is comparable to a working model of the STI Edge (MSRP $2499). Best of all, there is no de-cocker & instead, it has a frame mounted safety right where God & John Moses Browning intended it to be (same as 1911).

Along with the CZ Standard IPSC .40, it looks like the Sig could give STI/SV some meaningful competition in Limited this year - at least equipment wise. Anyone know how many rounds of .40 the Sig holds in a 140mm?

Here is a link to Matt's sight that will allow you to get his complete coverage of the SHOT show (thanks again Matt!) Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com

Moderator Edit: Fixed the URL. There are three pictures of the SIG at the top.

It is a beauty but I thing that for the price there are some things that needs some work to be done. I really don't think that the mag well is good enough. The other thing is that the slide is the same big size like in normal 226 and it's heavy enough for IPSC standard class gun. That's just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I have not yet handled one of these but am generaly a big Sig fan. I shoot a 226 9mm in Production. But I agree with everyone that if they are going to be competitive they are going to have to be cheaper, have 140mm mags and a better magwell. But they do gain points with me because like SVI they have gone through the problems and expense to have there guns MA qualified. Something a lot of other company's haven't bothered with.