Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb on Safety

pizzaman383

I did some grip experiments the last few times I've been shooting. I was looking to find the best grip for bringing my sights back on line after the shot.

A month or so ago, I started cocking my weak hand forward as recommended here. It did make a difference but the gun was still moving around after the shot more than I liked. If I hold the gun very strongly, it moves less but I'm concerned that a death grip has too much tension.

Yesterday, I experimented with strong-hand thumb placement. I found that if I kept my thumb on the safety, the gun moved much less after the shot and tracked back on target quite easily. It was a little surprising that the thumb made such a difference. So, I'll be sure to keep my thumb on the safety. (By the way, my gun is a Beretta 96 Combat that has a frame safety with a nice ledge for the thumb).

So, it seems like the best grip os one with the weak-hand cocked forward, a fairly firm grip, and the thumb riding the safety with some downward pressure.

Is this normal?

I heard Todd Jarret broke some thumb safeties too.

I wouldn't know, because I have a small safety, so I can't ride it. I place my strong hand thumb away from the slide and on top of the heel of my weak hand. Probably much like Duane says.

I have recently started riding the safety with my thumb. I find it works well for me but I tend to have more bend on my arms when doing this. I do not know if the location of the thumb or the flex in the arms is responsible but I have been finding the sight picture much faster. I think I will work on this grip for a few weeks and see where it takes me.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago on American Shooter TGO had 10 shooting tips (one

per show). The first one he did was the strong thumb on top of the safety.

He stated that it didn't matter if you were a beginner or a GM it would help

you shoot better. As Gomer would say "surprise - surprise. B)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to mess around with this. My main reservation is that I'm left handed and for lefties ambi's break easily. I seen on the thread not to put pressure down on the safety but I find this hard not to do. I'm still experimenting with it. I'm also looking at pinning the grip safety but have yet to mess with that.

Flyin40

The thumb on the safety is really helping me keep my shots more consistent elevation-wise. I am planning to switch to the modern IPSC style ( we need a proper name for this) grip permanently. It seems to be working well so far.

I've been using the socket screw stop on my Para and it my Kings safety has not broke, I added a larger paddle and shield so it resembles the Swenson.

I've used both Chip McCormick and Wilson safties. When I installed them, the grip (stock kimbers) had to be relieved just a little so that the end of the safety had enough room. I was very careful about how much I relived it. Just enough to let the saftey click off, but no more.

The end of the safety rides on the top of the grip - very little stress is put on the saftey pin, most is on the front of the saftey and the grip.

No broken safeties!

:lol: