Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me with SC

Flash74

Complete newbie here. I understand the concept of S C and understand the equipment rules for the most part. What I dont understand are the stages. Are the half dozen or so stages the only stages eligable to be shot? Can a person design their own stages for a SC match? Is there a max limit to the number of targets? How many stages are at a typical match? I am curious if a non sanctioned SC type shoot would work for my club since most are not the action shooting (ie: fudd) type. SC seems to be more their style with limited movement.

The eight official stages are just that, they are the stages everyone shoots, just like classifiers in USPSA. You can make your own custom stages at local matches but its best to use as many of the official stages and rotate them if you don't run all eight. Some matches have only four, some run eight or more. I believe the average is 5 since that is a good balance for timing and round count (that would be 125 rounds) of a match. I would join SCSA and make it official matches. Any other questions?

Locally we run 4 official stages and a fun one. A different club runs an outlaw steel match, whatever the set up crew decides to do.

I second this. Many Clubs run their own Outlaw steel match which is confused with SCSA or the genuine "Steel Challenge" because of the word "steel" used commonly to describe the match.

Why not just use the 8 official stages from the start? No thinking required and I promise you it wil be plenty challenging for everyone and there is no thinking for match setup. Just pick a few stages and set them up. The issue with setting up your own stages and then switching to official stages, besides all the extra work to design a good stage, is everyone may get used to random steel and when you move to a sanctioned match format you may lose some interest. Don't make it harder then it has to be ... The 8 official stages still challenge the best shooters in the world ...

Ok, I get that. Just realize you may not get all the hard core SC shooters since the matches don't count towards folks classifications ...

The only extra work is for the match staff since now you have to send the scores in and pay the activity fees but EZ Steel isn't very hard to use and National can provide any help to get going ...

There are pros and cons to both "official" steel matches and non traditional. It is nice to go to matches where you know what you will be shooting. You can also then compare your times from previous competitions and those shot by other competitors.

Many of the match near me that I attend have a combo, some official & some just made up. I do find those new stages fun, interesting and sometimes extremely challenging. In some way a match with unknown stages makes it a lot more competitive in that you aren't going up against someone who has been shooting the same stages for 10 years and has them ingrained into their muscle memory. If USPSA gets a classification in place that will help. Some matches I go to if I'm shooting rim fire, I have to shoot against guys that have won top placings at regional and national matches. For a guy like me that has only been doing this for less than two years that can be a bit intimidating. At last years State Steel Challenge match I was up against the guy that won the Ruger Rim Fire Nationals and onther who won a big Regional RR. This years State match they went to all non traditional stages and the times were a lot closer as no one but the match staff new what the stages looked like until we showed up.

In addition to a classification system for all divisions I'd love to see more stages. I enjoy shooting the ones we have now but it would be nice to have more to pick from. I think for our December match I'll just run Smoke & Hope as that's everyone's favorite stage and 4 made up fun stages. It's the last match of the year so we might as well have some fun.

Here's a fun one that a local club did a while back. A large IPSC silhouette target painted black with an 8" white round placed right in front to cover the center. Distance is 10-12 yds. The black silhouette is the stop plate. So 4 shots on the round and the last on the black. It appears easy, but when you try and go fast it's funny how many folks hit the stop plate on the 3rd or 4th shot and get penalty times added.