Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Burned by Hot Brass?

Hotchkiss

Do you think they could add a rule that would state which angle the brass can come out? That would make it easier for you. Maybe even a rule about max temp of expended brass?

Of course, just getting out of the way is probably the simple approach.

How about a rule where people like you seeking attention are precluded from posting drivel? While such a rule would impact certain peoples' ability to make themselves feel good about themselves, it would certainly remove a lot of trash from threads.

Do you think they could add a rule that would state which angle the brass can come out? That would make it easier for you. Maybe even a rule about max temp of expended brass?

How about a rule where people like you seeking attention are precluded from posting drivel? While such a rule would impact certain peoples' ability to make themselves feel good about themselves, it would certainly remove a lot of trash from threads.

The irony of this post is nearly beyond description. Well played.

Why don't you use your head and get out of the way of the flying hot things coming from the gun instead of started stupid threads?

Why don't you use your head and get out of the way of the flying hot things coming from the gun instead of started stupid threads?

Why don't you gain personal control over yourself and skip those threads you feel to be "stupid?"

This one time a piece of hot brass got stuck in my glasses and burned my eyeball. This other time, I got hit in the jugular by shrapnel off of steel. Everything happens. Both were during practice...

Your actual eyeball? What did it do to your vision? I've caught one between the frame of my glasses and an eyebrow and that wasn't fun...

I'm amazed at the number of trolls on this thread. Don't get me wrong, trolls are extremely common on gun forums but this is brianenos.com, one of the gold standards of on-line gun forums -- at least to me. It's not as if this is ar15.com or the doodie project.

Once the first troll dumps on a thread it tends to attract other trolls -- in some cases true "Internet Warriors", but I've not seen too much of that here. The number of trolls on this thread surprised me enough to ask the same question on another forum (another gold standard) http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=766075

Vastly different responses. Good input and information. No one claiming never to be burned by brass, etc. I really hope this was an aberration.

There is so much awesome in this thread. Just a quick question for hotchkiss. What area of the country are you RO'ing? Also, what sport are you RO'ing?

He is in area 6. PVH's anal retentive brother.

USPSA? I don't pay a lot of attention but who is PVH? I'm in area 6 as well and shoot mostly NC and SC. I've been RO'ing for only about a year and only been an RO for about 2 months so not a lot of experience here. I have had a couple of shooters whose brass was nailing me in the face from the get go. I just move a little left or right. If they are shooting 9mm, I stay where I am and take my hat off and catch it. [emoji4] . It sounds like most people just move a little. I do wish that I had a full face shield when RO'ing these super comp guys. That's a lot of concussion coming back on you.

USPSA? I don't pay a lot of attention but who is PVH? I'm in area 6 as well and shoot mostly NC and SC.

PVH is Paul Hendrix the RO that was banned for cheating with the timer. Hotchkiss is located in CA, I think. As far as dealing with hot brass I just move so that I don't get hit with it. It's quite easy to position yourself where you can safely RO a shooter and not get hit with brass being ejected from the gun/rifle.

There is so much awesome in this thread. Just a quick question for hotchkiss. What area of the country are you RO'ing? Also, what sport are you RO'ing?

He is in area 6. PVH's anal retentive brother.

USPSA? I don't pay a lot of attention but who is PVH? I'm in area 6 as well and shoot mostly NC and SC. I've been RO'ing for only about a year and only been an RO for about 2 months so not a lot of experience here. I have had a couple of shooters whose brass was nailing me in the face from the get go. I just move a little left or right. If they are shooting 9mm, I stay where I am and take my hat off and catch it. [emoji4] . It sounds like most people just move a little. I do wish that I had a full face shield when RO'ing these super comp guys. That's a lot of concussion coming back on you.

What if the first piece of brass goes down your shirt? Each firearm seems to throw brass in a different location. I personally don't want to worry about getting hit by brass -- I want to concentrate on the shooting.

As far as "concussion", you shouldn't be close enough to the shooter to feel it according to some on this thread. Just start 10' away from the shooter and all will be just fine according to them...

USPSA? I don't pay a lot of attention but who is PVH? I'm in area 6 as well and shoot mostly NC and SC.

PVH is Paul Hendrix the RO that was banned for cheating with the timer. Hotchkiss is located in CA, I think. As far as dealing with hot brass I just move so that I don't get hit with it. It's quite easy to position yourself where you can safely RO a shooter and not get hit with brass being ejected from the gun/rifle.

Not really. Certainly not during the firing of the first string.