Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going faster: 99-10 Times Two

Gooldylocks

My two cents: if you want to improve your on target and transition splits, do several Bill Drills every time you go to the range. Say, after a competition or during the week practice. That will do two things, first help with decreasing split time; two, help with any potential trigger freeze. After several rounds of Bill Drill, you should double the distance to see your groupings, but return to original distance to finish.

There really is no reason to drop points on this classifier - wide open targets at 12 yds and in. There is also no reason you shouldn't be able to execute splits in the .2 sec range for these types of targets. However, The biggest time wasters i see are not leaving while you are shooting out of the first position and not shooting in the 2nd position as soon as your first foot enters the 2nd box.

This is a litte hard to describe but you should set up your steps on this classifier so that you plant your right foot right next to the left outside edge of the right box so that you use a crossover step with you left foot to enter the box. The reason for this is as soon as you plant your left foot in the box and lift your right foot off the ground you can be shooting the 2nd array .. Long before you plant your right foot.

I learned how to shoot while leaving a position and shoot while entering a position from Steve Anderson and 1 month later at the Area 6 Championship Times Two was one of the stages .... I shot it a full 1.5 sec faster than I had ever done before because of that.

I enter with my right foot just over the line, with my left foot, lightly resting on the edge of the box for several reasons. I have more grip and will be stronger with my outside foot stopping me, not crossed over on the edge of my shoe. When you stop on a crossed over foot, you need to get over your center of balance, so you have to rise up before or while you can/are shoot. Stopping on your right foot lets you stay low, stay balanced and static while engaging the entire array.

I don't feel there is much of a benefit to a soft exit on this classifier, I've done them both ways, times were similar. So it will come down to what will get you the best points.

To the OP, you lost time on your draw, there was a good hesitation before you shot, transitions need to be faster and the hop in the 2nd box ate up a lot of time. you were stopping on you left foot inside the box, then had to hop to your right to stop your momentum.

I am going to work on some 10, 15, and 20 yard draws next time I'm at the range, to see how much more I can push that first shot and still get the alpha hit.

Really planting hard and coming to an abrupt 1 step stop in the second box is another thing for me to work on.

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest difference will come from the splits, But things add up. The draw to first shot is a little slow, also when your stopping/ stopped the pistol should already be presented and on target instead of bringing the gun up after you stopped. Dry fire practice with a timer will help the draw/ first shot ALOT. Dry fire practice in transitions also helps alot. After the second shot your eyes need to go to the next target before the pistol, then when the sight picture is correct the trigger should be prepped and ready for the next shot to break.

Does anyone else find, that in this kind of instance, shooting the first array of that classifier, that shooting it right to left helps them get up and moving out of the box on the last shot a little better? I just feel like it's making my body get going in the right direction when I shoot it that way and it seems a tiny bit faster to me.

don't guess. put yourself on the timer and find out which way you are faster. i currently shoot right to left consistently .1-.2 secs faster on an array so i'll always shoot right to left if i have a choice ...

don't guess. put yourself on the timer and find out which way you are faster. i currently shoot right to left consistently .1-.2 secs faster on an array so i'll always shoot right to left if i have a choice ...

Excellent suggestion on using the timer, but I guess my natural inclination would also be to practice more on shooting left to right, because sometimes you don't have a choice.

Edited by motosapiens