Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

kemper XL reflex sight.

You're asking for a sub-$100 RDS with the qualification that it's also 'good.'

I'm not sure such a unicorn thing exists.

I ran a Primary Arms red dot for a while, and it's still going strong - that would probably be my recommendation for a < $100 RDS, wit the caveat that you'll wind up probably replacing it at some point down the line.

You're asking for a sub-$100 RDS with the qualification that it's also 'good.'

I'm not sure such a unicorn thing exists.

I ran a Primary Arms red dot for a while, and it's still going strong - that would probably be my recommendation for a < $100 RDS, wit the caveat that you'll wind up probably replacing it at some point down the line.

I plan to replace it in the future when I can afford something better. For now though, I want something that will work for plinking and or hunting that's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. I just did not want a bunch of people telling me to buy this or that $3-400 optic. I was also looking for a review on that particular holo sight. It supposedly has the biggest glass of any RDS.

This tells me all I need to know about it, besides just looking at it.

As to buying another, they have some quality control issues which I am sure start with them being made in China. The adhesive that holds the rubber outer cover doesn't hold (its more like Vaseline) so you have to fix that. The thing is, I have only gotten to test these once so far, and a more serious problem presented itself - the reticle came off the LED inside. I was able to remove the cover and glue it on again, but I intend to contact them and make an issue of this, because to your original question, no one is going to want to buy a sight that breaks within seconds of use.

Go with a PA RDS - it should at least hold up to some abuse.

PA usually has their Black Friday deal where you can get the newest model of micro red dot and mount for like $69. It's a sweet deal. While they may or may not stand up to the abuse of military deployment, they will stand up to your hunting, plinking and competition use.

I've purchased two in the past 3 years. One sits on top of my competition AR, the other on my plinking AR pistol. I'll probably buy another again this year for another AR build planned for next year.

We've used a similar set up on my son's 22rf upper for the last 2 seasons of NSSF rimfire. They call it a panoramic sight, is a red/green sight has 4 reticules that you switch too with a lever. They run about $29.95 to *9.95 depending where you buy them. The problem is.....we ended buying 3 of them incase of failure. Turns out that is was about the same cost as a C'more railway.

A lot of people will tell you that they don't hold zero....but they do.....IF you lock the sight and they have a set screw for that.

The biggest issues with the sight you are looking at is A) washout while pointing in the direction of the sun and B) the battery module is weak and will fail you (not maybe......will)....which is why we had zero'd back ups for competitions.

The sight you are showing has the same battery module and most likely the same diode set up as well.

They may take the recoils for a while.....but when it fails in a match....you'll want a back up and then you are at the cost of something that you should probably buy in the first place.

I've also tried this sight on a shotgun......lasted about 500 rounds....could not take that recoil at all.

just my experience.....probably not anything you want to hear.

Tim