Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I receive the wrong expander ball in my 9mm dies?

This is my only set of 9mm dies so I have nothing else to compare it to. But I just got around to using my Dillon 9mm dies and noticed that the middle part of the brass is bulged inward (see pic)

15747059192_34b33756c9_c.jpg

I then go to check my expander ball to make sure it's there... I pull out my calipers and measure it up. It reads .325. I was pretty sure it should be somewhere in the .350 range, but again, I have nothing to compare it to. Was I shipped the wrong expander ball in my 9mm dies?

15560598450_bbb2c7eca8_c.jpg

Also got a bullet tray for my 550 and it has some big QC issues. At first I didn't think a few chips were a big deal, but a couple of them have sharp edges.

15746965062_f4ffbccfd4_c.jpg

15745425215_d317d0c851_c.jpg

Ams..... There is no expander ball on the deprime shaft, so that is not an issue for you. The coke bottle look is nothing to worry about but I normally run my match ammo through a Dillon case gage as a risk management control.

On a Dillon press there is an expander on the powder funnel (SDB, XL 650 and 550) or in the swage support for a 1050.

Drop a few handfuls of bullets in the tray and forget about the chips, you are good to go.

Geez, I'd hate to sell you a car. :) The powder coat is not going to be a class 1 finish. Just mount it up and start loading.

Can't be sure from the pics but you may be over crimping. Just want to straighten the wall, not crimp it.

the narrow middle on 9mm is normal. Do a search on "coke bottle effect" and you'll see all sorts of results.

As far as the chips on the bullet tray....don't know what to tell you. I realize you bought something and you want it pristine, but the machine is meant to be used, and will have far more wear on it very soon. If it bothers you, call Dillon. Otherwise, just hit it with a file if the sharp edge is in a place where it may cut you.

The coke bottle look is good to go. The part you are measuring is just the decapper unit that fits inside of the sizing die. When you set the flare on the powder station, you are allowing the bullet to smoothly enter the brass. Rifle dies use an expander ball in the sizing die to open the neck. Does the same thing without setting any flare. Check the seach function for further references to coke bottle. Start with http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147516...Also, Ifyou feel that the quality is not what you want, Dillon is a company that appreciates customer feedback.