Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Grip Safety Pin Hole

Nimitz

I made a mandrel out of aluminum. One end is .500" diameter with the other end is .278" diameter and is 3" long. The .500" end is put in a .500" collet and snugged up into my Bridgeport while the other end is slipped into the main spring tunnel. Doing this sets up the correct parallel angle when I clamp the main spring housing in the vise. I dial up the offset from the mainspring tunnel and drill the hole.

Easy peasy.

Another good way to do it is if you have a welder, or a friend has one, is to put a small bead of weld in the same area you would drill the hole. Make it about the size of a BB - should be larger than finally needed - then file it until the mainspring housing will just slide up into place. Advantage of this method is that you can get a tight fit with no movement of grip safety when MH in place.

I used a drill bit, they come in a pack of 2. I drilled the hole in the MSH and cut the other bit to make a pin. I ground it to a point and put it in the MSH with the now pointy end facing up. I put the safety in the gun and slide the MSH with the pin in it up to where the point on the pin was touching the safety. I pushed the safety into where I wanted it and smacked the MSH with a small hammer to make a small dent in the safety. I took the safety off and drilled it where the punch mark was... worked perfectly.

Edited by Paul-the new guy

....or if you are supremely lazy or just don't feel like getting the tools out you can just cut a little piece of shock buff and jam it between the MSH and grip safety ear on the left side as you slide the grip safety in place. :rolleyes: