Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Sp01?

twister

My lgs got a sp01 in, but how do I know if it's the right model? It's not the de-cocker model, and it has a small landyard on the back of the grip. Price is $650 otd,should I buy it, or wait on another one? Thanks for your help, Dave.

My lgs got a sp01 in, but how do I know if it's the right model? It's not the de-cocker model, and it has a small landyard on the back of the grip. Price is $650 otd,should I buy it, or wait on another one? Thanks for your help, Dave.

Have your LGS give you the model#/sku off the case, then you'll know exactly what it is.

As it if its the 'right' model ... 'right' for what? What are you looking for?

At that price, its probably the standard SP01: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/

You will be very competitive with that pistol with very minor adjustments that eerw pointed out. Plenty of info on these forums for the DIYer. Plus you get into the sport now and can start building your skills and having fun. If you really like the sport then save up for the Shadow Custom 2014 from CZ Customs and the standard SP-01 can be your backup/dry fire gun. Or get a CTS or Czechmate. CZs can be very addicting and you will part of the cool crowd of fellow CZers. :cheers:

You will be very happy with the SP-01.

Brisix is spot on. Great gun that you can start with NOW. Tons of support for upgrades (either send to CZ Custom or another, or get parts and DIY), and guaranteed it will not be the gun holding you back to any class you climb to. At some point you may figure out a preference for what is next, and then you can keep this for backup or pass along once you've sorted out what is next.

If you really want the SP01 Shadow (no firing pin block, fiber optic front sight and fixed rear from factory, better Combat 85 trigger (but still needs trigger job)), you'll pay about $230 more plus FFL to FFL transfer/shipping fees . If you are ready for that now, call Stuart at CZ Custom (or ping him above - EERW), and see if he has any coming in, you might get lucky! ... If you are not ready to spend that extra right now, just get the one nearby.

Will either SP-01 work with the modifications? My local place has both the tactical and safety model in stock, but I usually see the tactical model with decocker go for a bit less money. if they can both be modified in the same way with trigger jobs then I think I'd prefer the tactical as I am used to the DA/SA with decocker on my Sig models.

For Competition I would go with the safety model. I good trigger job on a decoker is MUCH harder to do. David at Cajun Gunwork is the the go to guy for decocker/firing pin block trigger jobs. He can get there triggers very close to a tuned up Shadow. Either way it comes down to what you want and are most comfortable with.

Edited by brisix

Dave go with the SP01. I got a great deal from my buddy gun dealer $585 plus tax for my SP01. Talked to David at CGW ordered parts and comp sights and did my back yard gunsmith job on it. It was a big job for me but I took my time and it turned out great so I have a great gun for around $900 that compares with my buddies custom shadow that was $1300+. If you are blindfolded you cannot tell the difference in guns; David from CGW will tell you this is the best value out there. I also feel much better in that I can tear a CZ down and put it back together; there is a self confidence in that.

I have an SP-01 Shadow and have done a little polishing and other tune-up stuff on it.

I also have a P-01 and did some tune-up stuff on a guys SP-01 Tactical.

Decocker and safety model triggers will tune up about the same,,,,, the decocker models are just a little bit more of a pain to reassemble. Once you have the slave pin and have done it a couple of times it is not horrible (still sucks though).