Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy

Onepocket

Answer your question with a question? When you look at cutting edge match ammo manufactured today with the exception of the .38 wadcutter, do you see more jacketed bullets or cast by any maker?

I think when you are looking at the last few percentage points of accuracy, jacketed bullets will be in the majority. Even the best coated lead bullets (and I like Bayou and wish I had a ton more) will be a little less consistent than jacketed bullet. We are talking true jacketed bullets and not plated bullets.

In most situations, jacketed. I did a bunch of test runs a few years ago and my JHPs were the best groups between several plated and coated bullets. I didn't do it on a rest so it may not have been the best tests but it was consistent. I haven't tested the harder coatings from Blue and Bayou and not sure it would make a difference with accuracy but that's coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For informational purposes:

My Bianchi load which is a 115 JHP Zero or Hornady XTP running 1150-1170 will shoot 1.5in at 50 yards.

A Twoalphabullets.com Lead 122 TC coated bullet sized .357 running 1100 + shoots 2.5-3in depending on the day at 50 yards.

"Most" coated bullets will engage the rifling better than a FMJ bullet and be more accurate at longer distances.

JHPs will be more accurate at longer distances over them all though due to the weight distribution of the bullet.

Depending on your gun/barrel combo and the distance you are shooting and your accuracy requirement either will work, but until you test them you won't know for sure......

DougC

I just have limited experience with jacketed bullets, but my experience has been that bayous are more accurate than fmj's of equal weight. But that's just what I've experienced in shooting 14,000 bayous and 1,000 precision delta fmj's.

I'm not a great shooter and haven't shot a lot, but I personally think coated bullets are plenty accurate.

For informational purposes:

My Bianchi load which is a 115 JHP Zero or Hornady XTP running 1150-1170 will shoot 1.5in at 50 yards.

A Twoalphabullets.com Lead 122 TC coated bullet sized .357 running 1100 + shoots 2.5-3in depending on the day at 50 yards.

"Most" coated bullets will engage the rifling better than a FMJ bullet and be more accurate at longer distances.

JHPs will be more accurate at longer distances over them all though due to the weight distribution of the bullet.

Depending on your gun/barrel combo and the distance you are shooting and your accuracy requirement either will work, but until you test them you won't know for sure......

DougC

Good info.

Note both of your jacketed bullets are JHPs, which I'd almost bet adds up to improve the accuracy by having a solid, jacketed base, while the lead can/usually does run slightly oversize to better engage the barrel rifling on a good day.

I'd be curious to know if you also ran more or less the same bullet in a non JHP or non CMJ version, and if it still groups with your JHP, or more like your lead loads (I'm betting the latter, but you never know..)

I don't think one can say one type of bullet is more accurate than another just because one has a jacket and the other is just lead, copper plated, moly coated etc. It's what runs well in your gun that matters in the end.

There's probably load data and accuracy results of Bayou's on this forum.

I'd say buy a batch and run em and see if you like em!

To improve your results you might have to play around with OAL and tenths of grains of powder.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Does anyone on here think a jacketed bullet is any more accurate than a buyou bullet? Lead? BBI?

IMO, depends on the gun your shooting......

Been doing a lot of 9mm testing for a G17G4, and the Bayou's are showing comparable accuracy vs. the Zero JHPs. Getting 3"-4" @ 25yds from a rest is about the best I've come up with using N320 at various powder/bullet weights and OALs.

OTOH, using N320/Bayou 200g SWC out of the Springfield 1911 RO yielded just a tad over 2.5" @ 25yds with first loads I tested.

Maybe not apples to apples comparison; but I feel some guns will automatically yield higher accuracy with either FMJ or lead/coated.