Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Striker

ad5md

Any benefits to be gained from changing the stock striker to the Jager one besides the longer tip? Been thinking of replacing mine with the Jager since I occasionally experience light strikes after changing the RSA to a hardened steel one and 13# ISMI spring. Jager's been out of stock and leanign towards the Zev. Any pros and cons? Tnx

Titanium Strikers, they do have less mass and they will move much faster when set into motion from the hammer or striker, and subsequently reset much faster.

Titanium is the wonder metal of our times. . . NASA makes robots and space ships out of the stuff!!!. . .

but in an impact situation where it is struck by a harder metal part (The Hammer or Striker) and it strikes a another Hardened steel part (The breach face) the pricey Titanium wonder part will start to peen over, chip and appear to "DeLaminate" it's just not tough enough for a long term repeated impacts.

as for the new plethora of lightened strikers on the market, Steel , titanium, "North Korean Unicorn Wonder Steel" you must make your choices carefully.

titanium with or with out the Fancy pants Ti Nitrate will hold up only for so long. . . "is it worth the cost for limited life time of service?"

Steel with lots of go fast holes "Is it hardened steel stock? how long will it last / how long is the warranty from the manufacturer.

After all this time and thousands and thousands of rounds through my Glock and having a collection of busted parts from everyone in the bottom of my range bag, I'm running a Bar-Sto. So far it held up just fine for a few thousand rounds.

Bountyhunter, do you have the titanium or steel?

Mine is Ti but I got it a long time ago. I have since read posts that assert the Ti strikers are more brittle and prone to break or chip at the tip than steel over long use which mine does not get..... not a big Glock shooter. That "problem" may or may not be relevant to you, just seen it on the net.

I see no drawback to a good quality steel lightened striker. Somebody here even posted pictures of how to do it to a stock striker.

post-271-0-00091600-1414998783_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-82181000-1414998799_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

Good Steel Strikers and Stock Glock Strikers are not the same!

Awhile back some "Value Engineers" at Glock went from Solid Billet turned Steel strikers to MIM Parts,

the problem with that is if your drilling "Go Fast Holes" at home to reduce weight you just might find that hidden inclusion in the casting,

solid steel billet has much less chance of that.

(if your going to mill down your own parts use a fixture . . . don't freehand with a dremel)

the best of the after market parts are manufactured from Billet Heat Treated Stainless Steel, held to .0002 Concentricity to axis of the striker from the "Leg" to the "tip" and the manufacturer of the part will put a minimum guarantee of 8- 10K rounds on the striker before it starts to show wear.

these are considerably more expensive than stock or parts made overseas. . . but they will last longer,

Please remember that strikers are a replaceable part, they are subject to wear and they have a service life. (8-20,000K rounds depending on your shooting style.

Some people change every two months. some only after it breaks or is worn to beyond safe specs, so don't think this is a one time purchase, unless your outfitting a Safe Queen!

Do your due diligence over the phone with the manufacturers and make sure that "Made in America" is still important to them.

P.S.

If you don't like the idea of a light weight striker, there are some that are making a good quality stainless steel (Made in the USA) stock strikers with an extended tip.

I freehand dremeled my stock striker similar to images above and removed considerable weight, had no light strikes, and no failures. It worked fine for me.

I am classified Master in dremel hacking, wish my shooting could keep up.

New Spring cups for a new striker . . . every time . . . . and every 5000 rounds there after, . . . . . . keeps the Striker "Centered" in the channel and from wearing off center to one side or the other thus rubbing the back of the breach face on the way by.

$2.50 for two

• 1 month later...

New Spring cups for a new striker . . . every time . . . . and every 5000 rounds there after, . . . . . . keeps the Striker "Centered" in the channel and from wearing off center to one side or the other thus rubbing the back of the breach face on the way by.

$2.50 for two

Didn't even think of that.. I just added that to my 5,000 round maintenance.. Thanks for the Info Tyro Shooter..

• 2 weeks later...

I get the lightened striker benefit, but the extended strikers concern me. While preventing light primer strikes, it seems they would also increase the chance of a ND, say from an impact. I'm no expert on the inner workings - your thoughts?

My thought is that an extended striker tip (or firing pin tip) does nothing to reduce light strike misfires. The primer stops the FP anyway. Reduced mass strikers (and FP's) definitely increase strike energy and reduce light strikes. Assuming the tip is not broken or reduced (or defective manufacture) extending it just make it's more likely to break IMHO. Others may disagree, but if you could magically get better ignition by extending the tip a few thousandths.... I suspect the manufacturer would be doing it.

it seems they would also increase the chance of a ND, say from an impact.

Depends on the design. I believe Glock's have an internal FP bloacking safety to prevent discharge from impact (Or muzzle drop) so I doubt it would go off. If the gun does not have a built in FP block, it certainly would increase the chance of going off on a muzzle drop.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 3 weeks later...