Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 9mm 1911 for USPSA

rugerp89ipsc

Dang, I got a bunch of xmas parts in and I am over weight on my SA RO 1911 in 9mm.

I had a toolless guide rod, VZ Operator Grips, S&A Magwell/MSH and came in at 44.7

I went back to the GI guide rod, VZ grips and S&A Magwell/MSH and came in at 43.5!

Looks like I am going to have to drop the VZs and get some wood grips. I wanted to put an ambi safety on it and a Dawson FO Front Sight, but I don't think the ambi will make weight. The front sight shouldn't be an issue once I get it swapped.

The Briley full length aluminum guide rod and FLGR plug are lighter than the Wilson GI setup I have on hand.

The ergo or alumagrips and a techwell, with a polymer or aluminum MSH should get you there easy, even with the ambi.

It is tougher to make weight with the 9 because the barrel is so thick...

You could also tri top and/or do some SS legal slide cuts to help bring the weight down.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had and old Colt Series 70 Govt Model in 9mm , and if memory serves me correctly the barrel was skinny for the most part and thicker just on the end to fit the bushing. Anybody else remember or seen one of these? Manufactures really do not like taking any extra steps now a days to cut cost, but if some of the current crop of 9mm 1911 mfg's would try profiling a barrel it might help.

But, we have to remember we are not enough of a customer to warrant such actions from most mfg's.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to try some polymer grips that look like they will be lighter. I might need to sell my SA magwell/MSH and pick up an aluminum one.

Definitely liked the way the gun felt with the full length guide rod, so I'd like to be able to cut enough to make one work (Briley looks like the ticket) and get my ambi safety on there. The gun seemed to lock up tighter with the full length guide rod.

Definitely glad I am doing some work to this pistol as I get things geared up for the custom build. Custom is going to get tri topped, so that will help. Caspian Carbon Steel frame has been ordered. :D

Thanks for the help fellas.

There are other options if you don't mind giving up your S&A steel msh/magwell. Techwear USA makes a magwell called the Techwell SP (or the XT model which is bigger) that is made out of aluminum and is pretty light. The magwell is not attached to the MSH but you can use a polymer MSH which will really drop some weight. However the Techwells use proprietary grips that you need to work with the Techwell magwell or you modify your own grips.

What magazines are you using? With Metalform 10 rounders with the plastic basepad, and the following setup, I'm at 41.6 oz.

Techwell also makes the TGO model with the open front. I like this on SS guns so when a mag doesn't drop, you can swipe it with the one you're planning on shoving into the gun to get it out.

Good luck, I was surprised how easy it was for my Springfield Loaded to make weight, GI recoil system, ambi safety, smooth wood grips with skate tape, skate tape on front strap, EGW stainless MSH/Magwell and nothing else was required. Came in at 41.6 oz with Metalform mag with plastic base pad. Aluminum base pads will weight more, don't know how much as I only have the Metalforms (and since they work with no issues, I see no need to deal with any other).

Good luck with your gun.

Edited by robertg5322

Here is one approach:

Springfield Range Officer 9mm:

Dawson fiber optic front sight:

Cylinder&Slide tactical II trigger kit:

EGW 1911 Silverline blue bolt-on mag well / flat checkered mainspring housing:

Dawson 9mm magazines 10-round with aluminum base pads:

Regular walnut grips (will have to research source and update this later):

Remove OEM sear, disconnector, hammer.

Remove OEM mainspring housing and internals.

Install EGW mainspring housing and magwell.

Install trigger kit.

Use OEM rear sight, recoil spring, guide, and plug.

Install Dawson front sight.

Result is 42.6 ounces with an empty magazine. Very accurate.

Chris

Sounds like a great gun!