Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 9mm 1911 for USPSA

rugerp89ipsc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured with tri-topping and deep front/rear serrations that would help shave some weight from the get go. I'd like to LPI the top too, though I am sure the weight with that is pretty minimum. VZ grips offers a wood grip similar to the other VZ grips I have and really like, so that should help too. Being 9mm, obviously the barrel is going to be heavy, so making up that weight is a concern. Not sure how much extra cost turning the barrel down would cost.

If you get yours built before mine, post up the progress! I am still getting my Springfield RO in 9mm up and running. It's a good pistol out of the box and I had a good first match with it, but it still needs work. So I am just gathering parts for the custom build right now while I get this Springer up and running how I want it.

Once I get the msh and magwell I'll be ablle to tune the trigger (stupid Springfield ILS locking system makes swapping mainsprings impossible), then sight it in. Also waiting on Dawson .10 front sight. Also have to dehorn the rear sight, why they make that thing so sharp is beyond me. Corners could slice a forearm open.

I am looking forward to finishing it and shooting it. Once it's done I'll weigh it and post results.

Yeah, I noticed with mine that the rear sight notch is not cut straight on one side. Now that I ahve seen it I can't unsee it and it's driving me crazy.

Does the ILS MSH not just slide out like a regular one? I haven't messed with it at all yet. Just shot the pistol a few times at practice and then a local Steel Challenge match.

you can put a different mainspring in the ILS housing no problem. or like I did initially I removed the ILS housing, put the plunger and mainspring into a EGW MSH. works just fine. the ILS just locks down on the mainspring cap to effectively disable the gun. apart from that the spring and plunger etc are basically standard 1911. but it's easy and cheap enough to replace it.

I replace my mainsprings with 17 lb units; the give nice light trigger with 100% reliability. I also like the EGW magwell/MSH unit, since I"m replacing all the parts, I may as well throw in the $2.50 mainspring cap and be totally standard parts on gun.

yeah I really liked the EGW out of all the more traditional type magwell options (the dawson ice no gap is more functional for gun games but not legal for IPSC classic div which is what I shoot). funnily enough that was with absolutely zero fitting. literally out of the packet,

at that point I didn't even have a new spring, plunger or cap etc. I just pulled off the ILS as it instructs in the springfield manual, took out the springs etc, stuck them in the EGW MSH and slid it on. the magwell lined up very nicely, no real need to spend any time getting it to blend nicely etc. it fit really well. gun functions just fine with the ILS guts in the EGW MSH. just needs a lighter mainspring as the factory one is pretty heavy.

yeah I really liked the EGW out of all the more traditional type magwell options (the dawson ice no gap is more functional for gun games but not legal for IPSC classic div which is what I shoot). funnily enough that was with absolutely zero fitting. literally out of the packet,

at that point I didn't even have a new spring, plunger or cap etc. I just pulled off the ILS as it instructs in the springfield manual, took out the springs etc, stuck them in the EGW MSH and slid it on. the magwell lined up very nicely, no real need to spend any time getting it to blend nicely etc. it fit really well. gun functions just fine with the ILS guts in the EGW MSH. just needs a lighter mainspring as the factory one is pretty heavy.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I am really getting stoked about this project. I don't know how I am going to hold off till after Xmas at this rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the gun. EGW magwell, standard recoil guide and cap, wood grips with skateboard tape, .1" front sight and Metalform mags with plastic base comes in at 41.6 oz.

Tried to clean up trigger, nothing left on sear to polish. Used Cylinder and Slide drop in kit (not a drop in by the way), and with minimal polishing, 3lb 2oz trigger with no creep and super nice reset. Required major fitting of Springfield thumb safety, kind of a pain but it now works.

I predict a new trigger at some point, the original one is loose in the track. But for now it's time to shoot it.

Pics later, but picture Beer Baron's with sandpaper covered grips and you have a good visual.

Edited by robertg5322

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, well looks like I am starting my build right after Xmas. I will post progress in this thread and info as I go. Thanks for all the info guys. Pretty stoked about this. I am hoping to have the pistol finished about the time I make A class for Production. Moving from Production to SS shouldn't be a huge jump either.

Camera phone picture to start.

This is the slide I am going to use. It's a prize table pick up from Caspian Arms.

Sat down with Hayes Guns and starting putting the parts list together. Caspian Frame is getting ordered first thing after xmas. Pretty stoked on this. The pistol above is a SA RO in 9mm I am going to be upgrading some as I go. Most of that I am going to try to learn to fit and do on my own for the knowledge and practice.

img_20141212_121133503.jpg

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

Free stuff is always cool. Caspian makes good stuff too.

I went with STI slides primarily based on price; I could get one with Bomar cuts and no front serrations for about $30.00 less than any other at Brownells.

Question; Since you already have a 9mm 1911, why are you building another one? Why not make a .40 S&W gun for diversity's sake if nothing else? I have one in each caliber, and once you get the .40 feeding issues sorted out, they're nice shooters.

Good luck with your project. Go slow, use the inter webs and you should have no problem. Other than a couple of specialty files (one for barrel lugs and one for slide rails) and a trigger track stone, I didn't have to buy any special tools. If you go with the Kart Easy Fit barrel and bushing kit, most of the tools required to fit and check fit are included. And Kart makes really good stuff.

Thanks! I will go google those now.

The primary reason for a 9mm is so that I have 2 pistols in case the primary one I am building goes down. I I already have mags in 9mm and I am trying to focus my shooting/training back to shooting A's after getting pretty sloppy shooting 3 Gun. I think I will do that better with 9mms than with 40s. In addition, I am already shooting Production, so I think it will be less of a jump into Single Stack. I have only shot SS at Steel Challenge so far, but once I make A in Production this year, I plan on moving over to getting A Classification in Single Stack. While doing that, I want to start building a Limited gun again to move to next.

Got two matches on the SS Minor gun. Nice to have the extra two rounds, but I need to concentrate more on getting A hits.

I'm getting killed on lost points. It is fun to shoot though.

Just shot my 9mm Springfield last weekend in a match for the first time. It shoots great but I am getting killed by the minor scoring. I am still in 3 gun frame of mind and need to slow down some.

Got two matches on the SS Minor gun. Nice to have the extra two rounds, but I need to concentrate more on getting A hits.

I'm getting killed on lost points. It is fun to shoot though.

Just shot my 9mm Springfield last weekend in a match for the first time. It shoots great but I am getting killed by the minor scoring. I am still in 3 gun frame of mind and need to slow down some.

I get killed on points but my times and placing is higher with the 9mm. I think the accuracy will improve, hopefully not at the expense of time. I plan on giving it at least six months to see how it plays out.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, I got a bunch of xmas parts in and I am over weight on my SA RO 1911 in 9mm.

I had a toolless guide rod, VZ Operator Grips, S&A Magwell/MSH and came in at 44.7

I went back to the GI guide rod, VZ grips and S&A Magwell/MSH and came in at 43.5!

Looks like I am going to have to drop the VZs and get some wood grips. I wanted to put an ambi safety on it and a Dawson FO Front Sight, but I don't think the ambi will make weight. The front sight shouldn't be an issue once I get it swapped.

Is the S&A msh/magwell steel? Back when IDPA limited CDP to 41 oz, I had to go to an aluminum S&A to get under the limit. IIRC, the weight savings was about 2 oz going from steel to aluminum.

If your VZs are solid you can try hogging out some of the material on the back to lose some weight.