Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM 9mm Match Barrel for Glock 34

skeeljc

I have a KKM 9mm Match barrel (G34B1) for my Glock 34. This barrel appears to have considerably less twist compared to the OEM barrel. Anyone know what twist KKM uses in the G34 barrel?

Anyone know if KKM produced G34 barrels with different twist rates?

I think originally it was a 1:32 twist. I think they redesigned it a while back and it's like a 1:24 or something close to that. It's proprietary and Kevin won't say what it is. I don't think they have options for different twists..

Edited by bigtimelarry

I will have to measure mine. I know it is a lot slower twist than the OEM barrel.

I know they do not have options on the twist. I just wonder if they have made changes. Their website talks about them "experimenting" with barrels.

Edited by skeeljc

The KKM Match barrel appears to be a 1 in 18" twist.

The Glock OEM barrel appears to be a 1 in 9" twist.

The above "measurements" were made by observing the degrees of rotation in the length of the barrel. Not exact but I am sure it is close.

This is a big difference! From what I have read the European manufacturers use a much faster rate of twist like 1 in 9 or 1 in 10.

The last time I tested these two barrels the Glock OEM barrel grouped much better than the KKM. That was with 115 gr. plated bullets. I will re-test both barrels with 115 gr jacketed bullets as soon as I get my slide back from ZEV.

Edited by skeeljc

I'd be interested in knowing which barrels end up working best with heavier or lighter bullets (say 115/124g vs 147/160g). If someone is able, please post your findings. I have .40 cal KKM barrels but no 9mm barrel.

I did correspond with Kevin at KKM. He will not comment on twist rate. I don't understand why as it is something one can measure. I suspect KKM has made changes to their twist rate and they do not want folks coming back to them for the latest design.

His advice was to shoot some quality jacketed bullets through the barrel. He commented that 115 grain jacketed bullets are always the best. He said the problem with lead or plated bullets is the sizing. He said the KKM bore land diameter is .3548". He said the bullets need to be .356" to .3565" in diameter. He commented that any lead bullet that is under .356 will never shoot very well.

I will do some testing when my slide comes back from ZEV. I have some Winchester 115 grain FMJ hollow base bullets and I will acquire some Hornady FMJ 115 grain bullets to test. I will post the results here in a couple of months.

His advice was to shoot some quality jacketed bullets through the barrel. He commented that 115 grain jacketed bullets are always the best. He said the problem with lead or plated bullets is the sizing. He said the KKM bore land diameter is .3548". He said the bullets need to be .356" to .3565" in diameter. He commented that any lead bullet that is under .356 will never shoot very well.

Kevin said ALL Bullets need to be minimum .356 or just Lead Bullets..

• 4 weeks later...

We had a break in the weather today so I shot some groups with my Glock 34 with the KKM Match barrel. Groups were shot at 20 yards from a bench with my hands resting on sand bags. No part of the pistol rested on the bags. Sight was a C-More STS mounted on the slide.

20141122_145857800x574.jpg

The KKM Match does not like plated bullets.

20141122_145922800x577.jpg

These are Winchester 115 gr FMJ RN. They have a concave base with exposed lead. Velocity is 1150 fps.

20141122_145936800x581.jpg

These are Hornady 115 gr FMJ RN. Velocity is 1150 fps.

20141122_150236800x562.jpg

These are Hornady 115 gr HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) bullets. They have a flat base and a hollow nose. Velocity is 1150 fps.

When I have some more good weather I intend to run the Hornady bullets in the KKM and the Glock OEM barrel.

Edited by skeeljc