Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber Flags, preloading and pump action shotguns.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chamber flags are great to signify an empty gun. Good for a line of fire with multiple shooters on the line-like in a class. I like that I can see all 16 rifles are empty and at port arms or whatever. But putting one in a loaded gun just seems dumb. Yeah, I have three or four and have learned all the "rules" for each match and how that match and that match director want to do the flag at their match (but some ROs have different ideas than the MD). They are an added manipulation that does not add anything to the basic safety rules. Agree with the Millers that not really helpful, may be harmful. Tables would be nice instead of on the ground or just wherever at some matches. New shooters need to get drilled by us every time they do something not safe, just do it.

I said I wouldn't but now I just have to. What makes Long guns soooo special? I for one feel very safe when a rifle is waved around with a flag in it same with a shotgun....but what really gets me excited is when a guy un-bags his pistol and goes to putting it in the holster, or checking it and not being real careful.....safe but not real "careful" and I have NO WAY of really KNOWING that that gun is really unloaded. It seems to me that pistols are really the ones that need a chamber flag!!! I know I would feel much better if a gun fell out of it's holster and we could all see a flag sticking out of it, instead of laying there in a menacing way with NO WAY TO REALLY KNOW!!!

So as you all well know I like to think outside the box and would never offer anything like this up without a solution in mind, so here is what I propose. When a person shows up at the range an R.O. safety checks the pistol IMEDIATLY!!! and if it is safe the shooter turns his hat around so the bill is pointing backwards....Gangsta Style!!...If they don't have a hat, one is provided in the interest of safety! Now when we L.A.M.R you can turn your hat back the right way. Upon U.L.A.S.C. the hat is once again turned backward. That way we all know at a glance that the pistol has been deemed safe by a qualified R.O. and all is well. That way we won't need to have pistols fall out of their holsters because a chamber flag won't let the pistol fit in the holster. It is VERY apparent that the gun is safe by a quick glance....Just like a chamber flag does, and we can now all feel 100% good about all the 3 guns....not just 66.66666666666% good! AND we will all look uber coooool like the old 80s SWAT show......HOWS THAT?????

Chamber flags dumb down the real and perceived SAFETY aspect of any firearm sport!

I don't care how much you talk up the hat, your chamber flag is still illegal.

Hurley

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...