Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 35 mags keep falling out!

3djedi

So today at the rang everytime I would take a shot the magazine would drop out. At first I thought it was me hitting the mag release as I have a ZEV extended mag release but it's never been a problem before. I ended up finding another magazine to try and I did doubles, singles, triples, bill drills and it worked just fine.

After expecting the magazine closer I noticed the notch where the magazine catches is deformed and I suspect this must be the problem.

The mags are maybe only 6 months old and I live fire maybe once a week with 100 rounds. I do, however, dry fire 5 times a week and do a lot of mag changes.

I think the lesson learned here is to have a set of mags used only for dry fire and set for competition use only. I was thinking about buying a bunch of those KCI korean made glock 17 mags for use in dry fire. They only cost about $10 each!

Anybody else experience this?

post-48839-0-37020400-1413929422_thumb.j

post-48839-0-74850300-1413929427_thumb.j

Sometimes the kCIs won't drop free for practice I tried them. You can get them to work with some lite sanding. The aluminum release can ding up your mags at the locking points you noted but mine still are working that may just be a bad mag.

I have 3 mags and 2 of them are doing it now. I ordered some new ones and they are on the way.

As far as the KCI mags, I do use basepads so maybe they will fall free better. Sanding a bit is not a problem either so I think I will give the a try....

Metal will do that to plastic. Probably why the glock OEM part is plastic.

This. The Zev release is aluminum (if it's the same one i have from them) and beats up the notch in the mag unlike the factory plastic mag catch.

+2 (This is it exactly) Metal part (DO) wear hard on a Plastic parts. There are a few company's out there who make a mag releases that are OEM factory Glock mag releases with the original button cut down, and a larger aluminum button attached with screws. Glock Store use to, but have also switched over to a all aluminium part.There are others online. Practicing mag changes will speed up the wear, also the magazine lips hitting a metal mag funnel over & over. Bottom line Plastic on Plastic

I don't have that issue with a metal catch and plastic mags because I load 10 rounds in 10 round mags (NY state). The top round hits the underside of the slide before the mag catch bottoms out in the notch. The rounds and mag spring kind of act like a buffer.

I have been running the Zev releases in my limited l10 and now an open gun since I have been shooting in USPSA. I'm not saying that couldn't be the prob as it very well could be and the aluminum is harder on the plastic but mine still work after heavy use this year

Are you using extended basepads and a magwell? If so then it's possible that your mags are not fully seating.

There are also small differences between factory mag releases and aftermarket. All it takes is a fraction of a fraction of an inch difference between the mag and the release being fully engaged and you will have problems.

Edited by Graham Smith

metal on plastic wear makes sense but I don't know. I've looked at all my mags that use the zev mag release and they all exhibit wear at the notch.

I ordered genuine glock mags for competition use and some KCI mags for dry fire practice. 10 mags for $100!

I didn't read all the posts, but would like to point out that when you switch to the metal mag release, this problem is inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any comparable plastic mag releases? (comparable to the ZEV)

Any plastic extended mag release you would recommend?

I didn't read all the posts, but would like to point out that when you switch to the metal mag release, this problem is inevitable.

Are there any comparable plastic mag releases? (comparable to the ZEV)

Any plastic extended mag release you would recommend?

Glock actually has OEM extended mag releases... Gen 1-3 is marked 1981

And gen 4 is marked 8794...

However, if you're shooting a Gen 1-3, using the standard mag release with a scallop-style cut has always been what's worked best for me. Doesn't get in the way, but the deeper cut adds much more leverage than just adding a longer one

I'll attach a picd557b96bd132c5ef56ca172c7c50e4a6.jpg

This one is by Boresight... His framework is top notch... Only a few other guys out there who do this mod really well.

I don't think that is going to help unless it has a burr on it. The 2 sharp edges of the magazine notch and the release are important to keeping the magazine in place. It almost looks like the magazines are not getting fully seated when they are inserted and the harder aluminum is trying to make its own notch in the magazines. I had a similar problem when the magwell was not letting the magazine go quite deep enough and I was not hitting the bottom of the mag to fully seat it. I have also seen shooter's hands bump the release while they are shooting do the same damage. The slight contact with the extended release will let the mag go in small increments causing similar looking damage.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I don't think that is going to help unless it has a burr on it. The 2 sharp edges of the magazine notch and the release are important to keeping the magazine in place. It almost looks like the magazines are not getting fully seated when they are inserted and the harder aluminum is trying to make its own notch in the magazines. I had a similar problem when the magwell was not letting the magazine go quite deep enough and I was not hitting the bottom of the mag to fully seat it. I have also seen shooter's hands bump the release while they are shooting do the same damage. The slight contact with the extended release will let the mag go in small increments causing similar looking damage.

I'm 100% sure it is getting fully seated.

Your other theory about hitting the button and slightly releasing the mag causing the damaging is the only thing that makes sense. I can't think of anything else that would do this....

Edited by 3djedi

What material are your baseplates, plastic, aluminum or heavy brass? One of the manufacturers (it may be Dawson) has posted a warning on their website stating that they are getting feedback that their heavy brass baseplates are causing excessive wear on Gen 4 mags.

They recommend not using them until further notice. If it wasn't Dawson it was TTI or one of the other major suppliers, I read it while searching for basepads for my Gen 4 G35. Take it for what it's worth.

Good luck