Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver bullet shape?

wheelie

Good afternoon All.

My 2 Revolvers, are a S&W 681-c-1 custom made for Action Pistol, wings and all, the other is a S&W 686 Performance Centre, with rail and under lugs.

I have always shot a 125 bullet at about a 128 power factor. sorry both are 38/357. I only just started using a revolver in 2010. Shot an auto always, I know what a goof.

But have gotten into a little ICORE at out club just north of Toronto, and will try to shoot a few matches in the US next year.

Both revolvers have scopes as well. But for sure the light bullet moving faster gives me very little recoil through the scopes. ( I am 6'-2" at about 270 ) and work with my arms all day.

For my last AP match this past September I had no choice but to load the 158 Zero, holy crap did it kill me on my score both days, the recoil was so hard and slow I shot a 470 and a 468 on the Barricade, this should have been a 480 both times, the other AP events sucked as well. I just could not control the recoil they way I can with the 125.

All I can say is that I will try to never run out of 125's again.

The 2 ICORE matches I have shot, the load and round worked great.

Russell

Canadian Shooter

a little off topic but for everyone using titegroup are you seeing any gas cutting of topstrap yet. years ago when i was first shooting revolver out of 3" k frame with 158 plated round nose i had to push charge to make minor (3" barrel was also slower than it should have been) and ended up doing a good bit of gas cutting with titegroup.

Good afternoon All.

My 2 Revolvers, are a S&W 681-c-1 custom made for Action Pistol, wings and all, the other is a S&W 686 Performance Centre, with rail and under lugs.

I have always shot a 125 bullet at about a 128 power factor. sorry both are 38/357. I only just started using a revolver in 2010. Shot an auto always, I know what a goof.

But have gotten into a little ICORE at out club just north of Toronto, and will try to shoot a few matches in the US next year.

Both revolvers have scopes as well. But for sure the light bullet moving faster gives me very little recoil through the scopes. ( I am 6'-2" at about 270 ) and work with my arms all day.

For my last AP match this past September I had no choice but to load the 158 Zero, holy crap did it kill me on my score both days, the recoil was so hard and slow I shot a 470 and a 468 on the Barricade, this should have been a 480 both times, the other AP events sucked as well. I just could not control the recoil they way I can with the 125.

All I can say is that I will try to never run out of 125's again.

The 2 ICORE matches I have shot, the load and round worked great.

Russell

Canadian Shooter

Did you chrono the 158 load? Sounds like you didn't reduce the powder charge enough.

yes I ran the loads over the chrono, and it was almost the same as the 125, about a 127 power factor, I was using WST, the only thing I could think of is that I was pushing the limit of the powder, for the heaver bullet.

No matter what, for me the 125 works the best.

Russell

a little off topic but for everyone using titegroup are you seeing any gas cutting of topstrap yet. years ago when i was first shooting revolver out of 3" k frame with 158 plated round nose i had to push charge to make minor (3" barrel was also slower than it should have been) and ended up doing a good bit of gas cutting with titegroup.

Wouldn't slower powders be producing more gas at the cylinder gap than faster ones? Or is Titegroup just that hot?

I've used Titegroup for 38, 40 & 45 and have never had a problem with gas cutting the top strap. Being a lefty, I've burned myself a few times on the forcing cone, but haven't seen any indications of erosion on the top strap.

I've used Titegroup for 38, 40 & 45 and have never had a problem with gas cutting the top strap. Being a lefty, I've burned myself a few times on the forcing cone, but haven't seen any indications of erosion on the top strap.

That's funny. Being a righty I've burned myself a few times on the forcing cone too.