Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio limited or BUL M5 IPSC?

Rosshooting

I can't speak on behalf of Tanfoglio but I have been very pleased with my Bul-m5 in 45 which I shoot in L10 and I'm waiting on Daly to get the forties in. The only problem I've had in about 4000 rounds is the front sight worked loose. Very happy with my Bul.

both have been known to be reliable and tried by, to name a few, Saul Kirsch (BUL) and Eric Grauffel (tanfoglio) i think it all depends on personal preference. i have an old tanfoglio model the TA90 9mm and it's ok so far. the Bul i haven't shot 1 yet but i've seen people who use it and they say it's ok. so it's more on ur choice and decision!! thanks

infinity :D

I agree w/ Mark: Tanfoglio. Both of these guns are difficult to obtain here in the USA so I take they are for use in IPSC & not uspsa? What country?

BTW, the excellent Tanfoglio line here in the USA has taken another hit with "EAA" deciding to drop import/sales/support of the the steel framed Tanfoglios & sell only the polymer framed guns. Sad really.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, let's look at the pro's and con's of each. Tangfolio offers the better trigger pull, better feel in your hand, and better weight if you like heavier guns. Con's, well, you get a bit more felt recoil with the steel frame, if you're used to 1911's it's slightly harder to get used to the thumb safety, they have a smaller magwell which may lead some to believe that they're slower to reload, and the extractors have been known to break. All of these cons, however are easily dealt with. The one you can't do anything about is the magazine capacity. Tangfolio's are restricted to using the standard box high cap mags. The absolute best I've ever seen is 17 rounds in a standard 126mm mag, and that was VERY tight.

BUL pro's, well easier transition due to traditional design, less felt recoil (plastic frame), probably going to be easier to find/install accessories, and more importantly, 19 rounds comfortably in the magazine! The only thing I don't like is that the frame digs into my hand kinda screwy. I'm sure Jim Shanahan could fix that with some APS grips, though.

If I were you, I would shoot them both, if you have that opportunity. Then you could decide. I think the only thing to consider are those extra two or three rounds.

Personally, if I were to have to choose, I'd probably go with the BUL. I've shot some great buls that were set up really nice.

Phil

I second Phil here, go with BUL if you can only choose between the two.

Even if they say that the new magazine catch for the Tanfoglio is the cure, there are

still reliability issues. I am sure there are thoose with Tanfoglios that never have

any problems, but I have seen too many with problems... A BUL may not be perfect

from the factory, but it's fearly easy to make a 1911 reliable. I would much rather have

a reliable gun, than an unreliable that might feel better...

I actually used to shoot BUL M5. I changed due to various reasons, but reliability and

shootability was not it.

even

fullauto, when you get one that is reliable... let me know. So far you have not

been able to convince me. Besides, right know you use a SVI :D

Not nice of you Even!

About the SVI, hmm - yup :-). In standard!

I've had a Tanfoglio in standard before, and with the new magcatch it worked. I wouldnt hesitate to get a new one now, its still half the price of an SVI/STI. And (for some) twice the feeling..

The reason I'm with Even BTW is that I have not once seen an Tanfoglio that didn't choke :unsure:

What does that mean? I've seen every type of gun malfunction, half the time it is due to operator error (ammo) or bad mags. I had a Bul frame fail on me. Does that mean they are all bad? Don't think so.

Fit and feel and having a gunsmith around who can work on it should be taken into consideration.

I'll explain what I meant by writing that. Of all the shooters I have seen in my life, I have never seen one that had a 100% reliable Tanfoglio (especially in .40).

True, it is mostly mag and ammo related in the sense that you can adjust both mags and ammo to make the gun work better. But I prefer guns that aren't as picky with ammo or that come with mags that work.

And yes, of course, every type of gun can jam. But you have to try harder to make that happen when you're shooting a Glock ;)

Not to add any fuel to the fire, but Eric had a couple of gags at the Tropical Cup (Standard), the US Nationals (Limited), and his extractor snapped at the Tropical Cup shootoffs. I gave him the chance to fix it and didn't count the run it went down on though. I had to beat him fair and square! B)

That's about the only time!

On the other hand, I too have seen just about every type of gun have some problems or another...except mine, of course!

Did I just curse myself???

I might add that reigning Standard Division European Champion, Adriano Santarcangelo, shoots a Tanfoglio Limited HC Custom in .40" SW, and he has been doing it for many years (he actually shot a Tanfoglio even before I started shooting...).