Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major 38 Super equivalent charge

kneelingatlas

I have to imagine someone here has already done this, so hopefully you can share your experience and save me some guess work: same bullet, same powder, same gun, same PF, how much more powder for super and what OALs? I'm thinking 1.170" vs 1.250", will be ~4% more powder.

There might be some differences between the different powders.

I load 9 very long (~1.2" with 124 grain) and I've noticed closer to +8-9% when going from 9 to 38SC (at 1.24"). You'll need a smidge more powder for Super (compared to SC) so I would bet that you'd be closer to +10%.

Edited by al503

The results will depend on the gun (barrel) and the gunpowder. All else being equal, the 38 Super will require more gunpowder for the same velocity because it has more case volume because it has a longer OAL. That said, I have personally seen a 38 Super load that required slightly less than a 9mm load of the same powder and bullet, the only difference being the barrels. Some barrels are fast, some are slow. You'll have to test your barrels.

What bullets do you intend to run in the super?

You can run round nose a little longer than JHPs or SWC bullets.

Personally, for the caspian and tanfo type mags (they are the same) I find these OALs work well:

Round nose = 1.245- 1.250"

JHP = 1.230 - 1.235"

I know you are loading for an STI/SVI gun, but in my experience these are pretty common across most of the double stack platforms. Single stack .38 supers can be loaded longer with no issues.

I don't think there is a predictable linearity between charges for 9 major and 38 super, to many variables. You gotta get out and use the chrono and work loads up.

Hello: 9mm and 38sc. 9mm is 1.170"oal and 38sc 1.235" oal. Take the same charge weight when using 115 grain JHP Montana Golds out of a full size gun. No holes in the barrel. It seems that the 38sc should take more but it did not in my test. This was with a Schuemann barrel. I will try it with a STI barrel and see how that goes. Thanks, Eric