Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

please give me a hand

wamcei

hello I am a new shooter. with that said I have had the help of a great gentleman on Facebook whom is making a comeback and he has given me some great advice! What I am looking for is others also. here is a video on some drills that have been giving me fits. could you please help me and let me know what i am doing right and also especially what i need to improve on!

Thanks a ton!

Mechanics look good. I don't see a lot of wasted movement. Do those same drills with a timer at the range, live fire. Record your times on the draw and mag changes and start working on getting faster. If you keep a record of your times from day to day, you can gauge improvement and set new goals.

EG

Do you plan on shooting USPSA. What Division? If not single stack then I would get a dropped and offset holster from bladetech. You are jamming a lot of arm under your armpit. Looks like you could get the gun a few inches lower.

Is the belt actually where it will be when you run it through the belt loops of your pants? You might have the whole rig a little high?

I recommend making a fist with your off hand when you shoot strong hand or weak hand. Balling up your fingers will eliminate the temptation to reach too far with your fingers which will make it impossible to get penalized for supporting your shooting arm.

Edited by Sarge

I like to assume the surrender position by putting my strong hand on the gun and my weak hand in surrender position then rotate my strong hand off the gun and into surrender. It seems to help the hand go to the gun quicker. All in all you look like you are doing well.

Mechanics look good. I don't see a lot of wasted movement. Do those same drills with a timer at the range, live fire. Record your times on the draw and mag changes and start working on getting faster. If you keep a record of your times from day to day, you can gauge improvement and set new goals.

EG

i have been doing them with a timer but alas i use an old iphone app and used my phone to record also. i have been following Steve Andersons book. my draw is down to 1.1 that came down from 2.6 in just a week. my only problem is all the ranges here i can practice at currently do not allow you to draw from the holstwr so it is all straight dry fire. thank you for reappnding

Do you plan on shooting USPSA. What Division? If not single stack then I would get a dropped and offset holster from bladetech. You are jamming a lot of arm under your armpit. Looks like you could get the gun a few inches lower.

Is the belt actually where it will be when you run it through the belt loops of your pants? You might have the whole rig a little high?

I recommend making a fist with your off hand when you shoot strong hand or weak hand. Balling up your fingers will eliminate the temptation to reach too far with your fingers which will make it impossible to get penalized for supporting your shooting arm.

yes i plan to shoot USPSA Production I plan on getting better holster for the next "season" around here th

I like to assume the surrender position by putting my strong hand on the gun and my weak hand in surrender position then rotate my strong hand off the gun and into surrender. It seems to help the hand go to the gun quicker. All in all you look like you are doing well.

Thank you so much! i am anxious for next weekend as it will be my first match. Plan on taking it slow and getting A hits.

ere is only 1 maybe 2 more matches until March. About the height of my belt you might be correct after looking again i had a pair of lounge pants on. it looks about 3 inches high. and thank u for the advise on the surrender draw great point!

The two things I noticed are this......you swept yourself several times before you holstered while your were grabbing the dropped mag. We all know the gun is unloaded, but it's a good habit to never do that. Also, you are grabbing your magazine by the very end, near the base plate. Work on getting a better hold of the mag and placing your index finger closer to the other end to index on your mag well.

But, good for you for dry firing!! Buy some books, keep learning and keep asking questions!

The two things I noticed are this......you swept yourself several times before you holstered while your were grabbing the dropped mag. We all know the gun is unloaded, but it's a good habit to never do that. Also, you are grabbing your magazine by the very end, near the base plate. Work on getting a better hold of the mag and placing your index finger closer to the other end to index on your mag well.

But, good for you for dry firing!! Buy some books, keep learning and keep asking questions!

Thank you for the advice i didnt realize that!

Your mag reloads, Try bringing the gun in a little closer to you. Also, look up what indexing a magazine is, fastest and most consistent way i've found.

Also, with you draw and turn, if you spin right, lead with your left foot. Step into it with your left food and not backwards with your right.

Edited by zjmccauley

Just something that helped me--a lot, don't try to carefully plan your foot movements for the turn. Just like shooting transitions lead with your eyes. Snap your head and eyes around to the target and let nature happen. If your wife (?) was behind you and said 'help!', you wouldn't plan which foot to move first. :) You can refine that very natural quick turn-around as needed for the position/situation (like toes on the "X"es).

Edited by 1SOW

There's a lot of good stuff in there. What are you working on right now?

Draw: You mentioned some bouncing but that wasn't always happening, it will go away, I was bouncer too. It looks efficient when you nail them. Hitting 1.1 from 2.6 in a week is awesome! Sounds like you've written down your par times which is vital. Performing to your par times will get you consistent. Try doing the draw at speed without drawing the gun, just touching the gun lightly then bringing the hands up quickly. Anderson's 3rd book has a drill on draw speed.

Anyway if you're hitting 1.1 consistently then concentrating on something else will give you better time gains. The draw will get into your procedural memory during the drills.

What are you getting for turn and draw times? Anderson's second book has a drill specifically for getting this faster and helped me a lot.

Bob Vogel breaks down the mechanics well.

As for your gun location and start position. Doug Koenig does a great lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45sCW1oI84

Turn Draw: Bob's Lesson on El Prez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar1AYeYtDU&list=PLEgY2_gq4cOZ-ZwMR0KVQnT792JNWs1SK&index=16

Reloads: When the drills got complex you hit some good ones (3:57 sec). Practice will bring you consistency. You clearly know what you need to do e.g. keep your gun in your workspace and look at magwell. Try getting the tip of your finger closer to the tip of the magazine which will help your consistency. Also, make sure you press the mag release the instant you start moving the support hand.

Bob's advice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uVa2iNUYvI

Tomasi by the numbers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2VdaiIodo

Transitions: They appear consistent but you may not be snapping your eyes to the next target as fast as you can. You mention the first time attempting so consistency is important more than speed.

Bob on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSZUSIj2NA

What to do with eyes Miculek http://youtu.be/c-Wh9wYgeUo?t=1m21s

Stance: Looks good especially later in the video with the more complex drills. You're keeping your head up which is good, bringing the gun to the line of sight.

Grip: Grip looks great. What are your live-fire Bill Drill splits?

Keep us updated on your progress!

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

There's a lot of good stuff in there. What are you working on right now?

Draw: You mentioned some bouncing but that wasn't always happening, it will go away, I was bouncer too. It looks efficient when you nail them. Hitting 1.1 from 2.6 in a week is awesome! Sounds like you've written down your par times which is vital. Performing to your par times will get you consistent. Try doing the draw at speed without drawing the gun, just touching the gun lightly then bringing the hands up quickly. Anderson's 3rd book has a drill on draw speed.

Anyway if you're hitting 1.1 consistently then concentrating on something else will give you better time gains. The draw will get into your procedural memory during the drills.

What are you getting for turn and draw times? Anderson's second book has a drill specifically for getting this faster and helped me a lot.

Bob Vogel breaks down the mechanics well.

As for your gun location and start position. Doug Koenig does a great lesson.

Turn Draw: Bob's Lesson on El Prez

Reloads: When the drills got complex you hit some good ones (3:57 sec). Practice will bring you consistency. You clearly know what you need to do e.g. keep your gun in your workspace and look at magwell. Try getting the tip of your finger closer to the tip of the magazine which will help your consistency. Also, make sure you press the mag release the instant you start moving the support hand.

Bob's advice

Tomasi by the numbers

Transitions: They appear consistent but you may not be snapping your eyes to the next target as fast as you can. You mention the first time attempting so consistency is important more than speed.

Bob on this

What to do with eyes Miculek

Stance: Looks good especially later in the video with the more complex drills. You're keeping your head up which is good, bringing the gun to the line of sight.

Grip: Grip looks great. What are your live-fire Bill Drill splits?

Keep us updated on your progress!

DNH

I will go over all this post more I get home. I do every drill in Steve Anderson's first book every night. Well I split them up drill 1-22 in the morning then I do 1-13 and 23- the end in the evening. I am working hard!

About the "bounce" I have been talking to Steve Moneypenny on Facebook and he has been helping me through there. He is one hell of a nice guy! But, if you look at my YouTube page you will see what I am talking about.

Again once I get home I will do a video and show you my progress trying to do at least one a week. Thank you so much for those videos I will check them out also!

What are you getting for turn and draw times?

1.4 seconds on this

Live fire Bill Drill time is 5.45 which was my best. 5.55 is the average though. So I see a ton more that I can do to improve just watching those videos. Also, looking into the rest of Steve Andersons books might as well get them all and follow along!

Is there any video packages that Any would suggest. I like youtube but they don't go into depth as much as I would like. I have an old Burkett video series that was given to me that had Mr. Enos in it also but was thinking a more up to date one. Again any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...