Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cover Garments?

Gooldylocks

So I have been shooting USPSA for about a year now, but am interested in trying an IDPA match or two just to get some extra work in with my EDC.

My question lies in this cover garment stuff... If I am carrying IWB, does my shirt work? Assuming I pass the arms extended to sides test? Or do I have to have an ADDITIONAL cover?

For instance, Ruger SR9c, aliengear holster, extra mag in my pocket. If they wouldn't let me do that then I have and could run a normal double pouch.

thanks!

as long as you can't see the gun, you are fine. a simple t-shirt over your IWB rig works fine.

Of course not having a competition-only gamer IDPA vest will get you killed in the streets, but that's your decision.

Edited by motosapiens

Okay cool. I was under the impression that you would get a PE on every stage you didn't have a cover on. What about magazines from pockets?

Whatever covers your gun is a cover garment. It doesn't have to be a competition-only gamer vest. When I started I took them out of vest pockets. They probably need to be hidden from view.

Edited by motosapiens

Ok. I have my gamer belt and race holster and everything that would get me killed in the streets, but I was gonna try and treat IDPA as more of training than competition. I'm far less worried about how I do shooting that than at a USPSA match

I've never worn anything different at IDPA than I would otherwise wear for concealed carry. I don't bother with gamer holsters and just use the ones I carry with all day (either IWB or OWB however I feel that day). The only change is that I replace my defense loads with ball reloads when I get to the match. I also add one more magazine on my belt (for a total of two).

I always wear untucked button down shirts or polos and they cover everything that needs to be covered. In the cooler months I tuck my shirt in and wear a fleece vest for concealment, again, like how I would go about my day anyway.

Edited by elguapo

I shoot with gabe pretty frequently actually, so I know it's an option. However he is forced to shoot in limited (not that that slows him down at all) since his holster is in front of his hip. Also shooting my compact I would need to have my mags loaded to capacity to complete stages versus only 10 and a reload from the pocket.

You are probably saying yea so, shoot limited minor. And the reason I don't want to is cause limited is my normal divison and i don't want to mess up my limited classification. Shallow, I know.

I shoot with gabe pretty frequently actually, so I know it's an option. However he is forced to shoot in limited (not that that slows him down at all) since his holster is in front of his hip. Also shooting my compact I would need to have my mags loaded to capacity to complete stages versus only 10 and a reload from the pocket.

You are probably saying yea so, shoot limited minor. And the reason I don't want to is cause limited is my normal divison and i don't want to mess up my limited classification. Shallow, I know.

Ive used my appendix carry rig with a polo in L10. I don't want to bring down my Limited classification either. Just belted up with a CCC Shaggy, ran 3 pouches and a pocket.

If you practice at all you will probably be quite competitive with the other 2 guys shooting L10. It was a good experiment for me as it taught me what my appendix carry draw looked like under pressure. It needs more work for sure.

AFAIK IDPA doesn't allow appendix carry. Everyone knows the only way to carry in real life is a G21 and fishing vest.