rmj339

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My second has the same issue as the first. :(

Well thats not good news

yeah, im pretty pumped about it. Love the theory, love that it picks up dryfire and airsoft, but not getting the impression that it's ready for prime time.

So I've gone from high D, low C class to high A, low M class in about 6 months and under 1000 rounds of live ammo from just loosely following his Dry Fire and PP Foundations books.

That is strong. How many matches a month are you shooting? How much time do you spend training on a daily basis?

I have only shot 2 matches in last 6 months. Going to my third on sunday. 15 minutes to an hour dry firing. I am very new to the sport.

So I've gone from high D, low C class to high A, low M class in about 6 months and under 1000 rounds of live ammo from just loosely following his Dry Fire and PP Foundations books.

That is awesome. I hope to make M by the end of 2016. I have yet to be classified in USPSA currently classified SS in IDPA. Will make at least expert next IDPA classification and maybe master depending on the new changes.

Looking at the IDPA classifier, Master is much easier than I expected.

Edited by Wesquire

That is strong. How many matches a month are you shooting? How much time do you spend training on a daily basis?

I have only shot 2 matches in last 6 months. Going to my third on sunday. 15 minutes to an hour dry firing. I am very new to the sport.

Classifier matches?

Classifier matches?

No, I'm not classified. Basing my statements of my level compared to my finish against other competitors. Most recent match I finished 2nd overall. Beat all the A class shooters.

How'd your match go? I'm 6~ weeks in and definitely getting better at dry fire, but I am not seeing it translate into match scores as of yet. Still shooting middle of the pack and C level classifiers.

Finished <3% behind the production winner. Really make an effort to avoid cheating yourself in dry fire. Grip the hell out of the gun and be honest calling your shots. I do quite a bit of grip strength training too. Edited by Wesquire

I deadlift 500+ double overhand without any grip assistance and keep a set of bonecrusher grippers at my desk at work. I have no problem gripping the shit out of the gun. I do try and keep it honest in dry fire and do a decent job of calling my shots in matches. I'm slow to pick up the sights and slow to get an appropriate focus on longer shots, i e im not sure my 40 yr old eyes are working as well as they should... truthfully, I'm slow all the way around. Not making any excuses, I know what I need to work on to improve. I'm definitely shaving time off the par times without feeling like I am cheating. I just am not seeing it manifest itself in match results yet.

But congrats, you seem to be doing it right!

During live fire practice yesterday I did some 25 yard shots. From what I have read you want a hard front site focus on that sort of distance. With a hard front site focus I see two targets. Is this normal? I tried different ways to focus but always saw 2 targets with a front site focus. Only way to was to close my left eye to get the second target to disappear. I wear contacts but have good vision without them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's normal for me, and part of my problem is that eventually my left eye starts fighting my right for dominance. I have been working on vision drills to try and train my brain to disregard the ghost image. Only workable solution I have found for me thus far is to obscure the vision out of my left eye with a piece of tape. But I continue to work with a brock string and the drill that Gabe White outlines in this article to try and train my brain and increase the speed at which my eyes work..

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Will probably see an eye doctor in January to see if there are any corrective remedies that i need or could help.

Edited by tha1000

I could not shoot both eyes open until last week. It just clicked for some reason. After many hours of my right eye seeing the sights, I guess it learned to be able to recognize what it needs to and ignore my left eye ghosting. I got LASIK in August. I've always had 20/400+ vision, contacts corrected to 20/20 so I don't know if that helped. I'm only 24 so I probably don't have the same issues as you. Just keep working the dry fire. Practice just drawing an pointing at something. See how far the sights are off. Eventually you will be able to point right at the target. On close targets I don't even look at the sights. I look at the target and point. I did that in my match yesterday. There were 4 targets within 5 yards that you had to lean around corners to get. I didn't see the sights one time on any of them and all were double alphas. For 25 yard shots I still squint the left eye. The main thing I'm learning right now is that speed trumps accuracy. I've been the most accurate production shooter at each of my last two matches, and I've lost to someone shooting 20-30% less A's both times. Unless the stage has a low HF, I'm definitely going to start speeding up. Ideally I want to be fast AND accurate, but speed is the lower hanging fruit.

Edited by Wesquire

It's normal for me, and part of my problem is that eventually my left eye starts fighting my right for dominance. I have been working on vision drills to try and train my brain to disregard the ghost image. Only workable solution I have found for me thus far is to obscure the vision out of my left eye with a piece of tape. But I continue to work with a brock string and the drill that Gabe White outlines in this article to try and train my brain and increase the speed at which my eyes work..

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Will probably see an eye doctor in January to see if there are any corrective remedies that i need or could help.

Thank you for that article.

I could not shoot both eyes open until last week. It just clicked for some reason. After many hours of my right eye seeing the sights, I guess it learned to be able to recognize what it needs to and ignore my left eye ghosting. I got LASIK in August. I've always had 20/400+ vision, contacts corrected to 20/20 so I don't know if that helped. I'm only 24 so I probably don't have the same issues as you. Just keep working the dry fire. Practice just drawing an pointing at something. See how far the sights are off. Eventually you will be able to point right at the target. On close targets I don't even look at the sights. I look at the target and point. I did that in my match yesterday. There were 4 targets within 5 yards that you had to lean around corners to get. I didn't see the sights one time on any of them and all were double alphas. For 25 yard shots I still squint the left eye. The main thing I'm learning right now is that speed trumps accuracy. I've been the most accurate production shooter at each of my last two matches, and I've lost to someone shooting 20-30% less A's both times. Unless the stage has a low HF, I'm definitely going to start speeding up. Ideally I want to be fast AND accurate, but speed is the lower hanging fruit.

Im 33 and most of our matchs are closer range targets. I have been shooting like you, just point shooting with a target focus. Using the article posted above I am able to sharpen my thumb/site while the target does not split into two images. I have to work at it and obviously need practice at that. When I shoot I see my sites, but they are blurry.

coming from IDPA I have recently started shooting USPSA and my first match I shot almost all A's and ended up mid pack. I quickly relized, like you have, that speed is king in USPSA. Of course the top tier guys are fast and accurate. I am wondering if my site focus is causing my inablity to call shots. There will be many times I am fastest on a stage but I end up with one Mike, usually right before a reload. I am not seeing these misses and I am trying to fix that.

. But I continue to work with a brock string and the drill that Gabe White outlines in this article to try and train my brain and increase the speed at which my eyes work..

What is a brock string? I did not see that in the artcle.

It's not in the article.

A brock string is basically a string with beads on it of varying distances used for different focal points. Kind of a rehab type thing. I practice shifting my vision from target distance, to front sight distance, to reload distance, etc... trying to get my eyes working faster. Whether it is actually beneficial for my purposes or not is still up for debate. I have one in my office and I have one in my garage where I dry fire.

Edited by tha1000

The main thing I'm learning right now is that speed trumps accuracy. I've been the most accurate production shooter at each of my last two matches, and I've lost to someone shooting 20-30% less A's both times. Unless the stage has a low HF, I'm definitely going to start speeding up. Ideally I want to be fast AND accurate, but speed is the lower hanging fruit.

Yeah, my hits are right in line with the guys that are winning at the local level, I'm getting crushed on speed. 20-30 seconds between me and the top guys on 5 field courses and a classifier yesterday. But that's the level of skill I'm at right now. If I go any faster, I am not seeing the sights or calling my shots with any degree of confidence.

Edited by tha1000

Unless the stage has a low HF, I'm definitely going to start speeding up. Ideally I want to be fast AND accurate, but speed is the lower hanging fruit.

As I am rather new to USPSA scoring can you explain what you mean by the stage having a low hit factor?

Unless the stage has a low HF, I'm definitely going to start speeding up. Ideally I want to be fast AND accurate, but speed is the lower hanging fruit.

As I am rather new to USPSA scoring can you explain what you mean by the stage having a low hit factor?

Generally speaking, the longer the course, the lower the hit factor... i.e. less points per second. In a stand and shoot speed shoot like a classifier stage, it's going to have a higher hit factor than a 32 round field course that requires you to shoot from 5-6 different positions. The theory is that you should focus on getting points on low hit factor stages and not be quite so picky in a high hit factor stage as each second is worth more points. Or that is my understanding of it, anyways.

Edited by tha1000

So take el pres for example. There's 60 points available. If I'm going for speed I can shoot it in about 5 seconds and get ~48 points. That's just shy of 10 HF. 10 HF is very high for a uspsa stage. If I want to get better hits, I'd have to slow down to about 6 seconds and if I did that, I'd have to basically get all 60 points to match the 5 second run. I can guarantee a 5 second run with okay hits better than I can guarantee a 6 second run with perfect hits. Simple as that. Now, for a field course with like a ~3 HF, a lot of the time is movement. This means each shot that isn't an A hurts you more. For the el pres example, a C has to be .2 seconds faster to be worth it. For a 3 HF field stage (Say 30 points in 10 seconds), each C has to be ~.7 seconds faster to be worth it.

tha1000

From that article you posted I am trying the "drill" of using my office door knob as my target and holding up my thumb. I can shift my focus to sharpen my thumb without creating two targets, albeit slowly, but if I try to move my thumb i lose that focus instantly. usually going full thumb focus.

Are you able to move your focus like this or are you still working on it? From that article it sounded like he could transition targets while still keeping the correct front site focus. Seems like a huge task for me right now. And if I had to switch back and forth from target focus to front sight focus, without doubling the target and while shooting a stage my stage times would jump considerably.

I deadlift 500+ double overhand without any grip assistance and keep a set of bonecrusher grippers at my desk at work. I have no problem gripping the shit out of the gun. I do try and keep it honest in dry fire and do a decent job of calling my shots in matches. I'm slow to pick up the sights and slow to get an appropriate focus on longer shots, i e im not sure my 40 yr old eyes are working as well as they should... truthfully, I'm slow all the way around. Not making any excuses, I know what I need to work on to improve. I'm definitely shaving time off the par times without feeling like I am cheating. I just am not seeing it manifest itself in match results yet.

But congrats, you seem to be doing it right!

What lbs gripper you on? I never really deadlifted much, but when I maxed I was in the 500lbs area. I was surprised how much stronger of a grip some smaller shooters like Bob Vogel had than me. He does reps with CoC #3 I've been told. Currently I am doing reps at 250lbs with the heavy grippers.