Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger Book

rmj339

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the dry fire books do you just try to do one set of skills at a time? Say you were going to dry fire 4-5 days a week. Would you split it so your doing something different each day?

Last night I found myself doing from the start of the book until the first few in the accuracy section. Dry fired for about an hour and 20 mintues.

Edited by CrashDodson

Towards the back of the book there are "programs". Find which one you fit into and try the sections he recommends.

I have page numbers written down that I'm going to do that night. I plan out 4-6 weeks with each program for what I want to work on. This saves a lot of time, I just look at what I have planned and stick to it.

I also end up going through almost the whole book each week. Just working different drills each night, 6 days a week.

Edited by Nickb45

Towards the back of the book there are "programs". Find which one you fit into and try the sections he recommends.

I have page numbers written down that I'm going to do that night. I plan out 4-6 weeks with each program for what I want to work on. This saves a lot of time, I just look at what I have planned and stick to it.

I also end up going through almost the whole book each week. Just working different drills each night, 6 days a week.

Thank you! I just opened the book and started going through it, didnt bother to look the whole book over.

Thank you! I just opened the book and started going through it, didnt bother to look the whole book over.

I stick with the programs at the back of the book as well. I usually set a timer for 5 minutes per drill unless I'm having an incredibly rough go at it and then I'll do a few extra minutes of work. I usually do 3-6 drills per day, depending on my time constraints and how froggy I am feeling.

I stick with the programs at the back of the book as well. I usually set a timer for 5 minutes per drill unless I'm having an incredibly rough go at it and then I'll do a few extra minutes of work. I usually do 3-6 drills per day, depending on my time constraints and how froggy I am feeling.

Ive been trying to go through a section a night. I get warmed up with one shot draws and then I will do accuracy one night, USPSA core the next night...ect. I dont have the targets currently to setup all the drills. Not to mention I am doing this in the living room as the wife watches TV. She recently stated that "targets are taking over our house". We dont have basements in Texas (most dont at least), that sure would be nice. I purchased a bunch of targets from the pro shop so I can recreate all the drills. I always finish with the hopkins drill because I think I need the most help right now staying on my sights and making sure I break the shot before transitioning.

In the programs section of the book there is a program where you do everything everynight. Maybe I am running through too many reps but it takes me about an hour each night to go through one section.

I break the book sections into two pieces (maybe three for a longer section if i have limited time). I do the first piece one night and the rest on the next night. There is no rule about doing all the drills at once - and it may even be better to focus on a few at a time.

Do something that works for your time availability, goals and needs

Sent by Jedi mind control

I downloaded an app called "dry fire timer" it lets you enter drills, pars and reps. I have all the drills from the book in there. Most are set for 5 reps.

This has helped speed up my session a lot. No messing around with changing a par and starting a timer every rep.

I will stick to 5 or 10 reps per drill unless I have issues, then I will figure out why I have issues and work through it. On the same note, if a drill is going really good I carry on a few extra reps to make myself feel good.

I break the book sections into two pieces (maybe three for a longer section if i have limited time). I do the first piece one night and the rest on the next night. There is no rule about doing all the drills at once - and it may even be better to focus on a few at a time.

Do something that works for your time availability, goals and needs

Sent by Jedi mind contr

Ive been trying to go through a section a night. I get warmed up with one shot draws and then I will do accuracy one night, USPSA core the next night...ect. I dont have the targets currently to setup all the drills. Not to mention I am doing this in the living room as the wife watches TV. She recently stated that "targets are taking over our house". We dont have basements in Texas (most dont at least), that sure would be nice. I purchased a bunch of targets from the pro shop so I can recreate all the drills. I always finish with the hopkins drill because I think I need the most help right now staying on my sights and making sure I break the shot before transitioning.

In the programs section of the book there is a program where you do everything everynight. Maybe I am running through too many reps but it takes me about an hour each night to go through one section.

Garage? There are scaled targets you can print off benstoeger.com. I typically use an empty water bottle or something in front of the target for partials. I have airsoft 1/6th uspsa targets and an airsoft plate rack for drills involving those. Coincidentally, the only drill I haven't set up due to lack of a good corner and gear is the Hopkins drill. 90% of the stuff can be done with 3 scaled targets. Just move them around as needed for each drill.

Edited by tha1000

I ordered a bunch of targets from the pro shop which should be here soon. My garage is taken over by motorcycles, bicycles and other stuff but I am working on reclaiming it. I use a corner of my bedroom for the hopkins drill. Luckily my wife is supportive.

I downloaded an app called "dry fire timer" it lets you enter drills, pars and reps. I have all the drills from the book in there. Most are set for 5 reps.

This has helped speed up my session a lot. No messing around with changing a par and starting a timer every rep.

I will stick to 5 or 10 reps per drill unless I have issues, then I will figure out why I have issues and work through it. On the same note, if a drill is going really good I carry on a few extra reps to make myself feel good.

I use a shotmaxx timer. Its convienant on your wrist and it doesnt take but a second to change the par. I noticed stoeger is against apps in his books because he says they are not accurate enough but its better than nothing. Newer apps may work pretty well.

I don't see what the problem with an app is for dry fire, just need 2 beeps. I like the app because I can turn the volume down and not have my timer going off a bunch of times while my wife is trying to watch tv in the other room.

I use a real timer for live fire.

I went from the phone app to a shotmaxx, I can get twice as much done in the same amount of time with the watch.. I typically set the phone to time the drill and work non stop for 5 minutes without taking a break., so I can get 15-20 reps a minute, depending on what I'm working on, without moving out of the box to reset the phone..

Of course, this was until my shotmaxx crapped the bed on me. Waiting on a warranty replacement right now. Great product, just hope my new one works right.

I went from the phone app to a shotmaxx, I can get twice as much done in the same amount of time with the watch.. I typically set the phone to time the drill and work non stop for 5 minutes without taking a break., so I can get 15-20 reps a minute, depending on what I'm working on, without moving out of the box to reset the phone..

Of course, this was until my shotmaxx crapped the bed on me. Waiting on a warranty replacement right now. Great product, just hope my new one works right.

My buzzer started making funny sounds the other night, it said 40% charge left. I recharged it and it works fine now. Hopefully it keeps running! I put two pieces of packing tape over the speaker to use it in the house. Its nice and quiet.

My buzzer started making funny sounds the other night, it said 40% charge left. I recharged it and it works fine now. Hopefully it keeps running! I put two pieces of packing tape over the speaker to use it in the house. Its nice and quiet.

That's what mine was doing... except it was doing it at about 90% charge. So I'd literally have to charge it every other day to make it through the 3rd dry fire session. Hopefully they get this one right. The only complaints I have about it is the battery issue and the length of the beep, but then again, if I get to a point where a minimum .6 second par time is an issue, I'll gladly purchase a different unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the dry fire book a few months ago.. It's awsome!! It really gave me a direction to go in . I was just kinda guessing on what I should work on. And that never seems like a very good idea. When you know very little. haha! The par times really helped me a lot...

Stoeger Pro shop has a black Friday sale right now. I bought the dvd combo and the dry fire target set. I cant wait!!!

That's what mine was doing... except it was doing it at about 90% charge. So I'd literally have to charge it every other day to make it through the 3rd dry fire session. Hopefully they get this one right. The only complaints I have about it is the battery issue and the length of the beep, but then again, if I get to a point where a minimum .6 second par time is an issue, I'll gladly purchase a different unit.

Ended up having to send mine in for repair

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reporting Back- Finished reading his fundamentals book yesterday. (read 20 pages or so a night).

Definitely worth the buy, lots of good information. Not all of it is new information, but there are points he makes that will make old information in your brain come back to the forefront.

I started reading the dryfire book this morning before work. Will start the training process once my open gun comes back to me in 2 weeks or so.

Ended up having to send mine in for repair

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My second has the same issue as the first. :(

So I've gone from high D, low C class to high A, low M class in about 6 months and under 1000 rounds of live ammo from just loosely following his Dry Fire and PP Foundations books.

That is strong. How many matches a month are you shooting? How much time do you spend training on a daily basis?

Edited by tha1000

So I've gone from high D, low C class to high A, low M class in about 6 months and under 1000 rounds of live ammo from just loosely following his Dry Fire and PP Foundations books.

That is awesome. I hope to make M by the end of 2016. I have yet to be classified in USPSA currently classified SS in IDPA. Will make at least expert next IDPA classification and maybe master depending on the new changes.