Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger Book

rmj339

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

250 is the heaviest one I have. Not sure I could close the next one up with my support hand. Need to order one to try.

Support hand is probably even more important.

I know, but it's the weak hand for a reason.

My hands have always been the same strength for some reason. Just the coordination is crazy bad with the left.

What's a good coc gripper to start with? #2? I'm 33 and in decent shape. Rock climbed for years. I have one of those gyro ball trainers but I don't have a grip specific trainer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if you could close the #2. I'd start with a #1.5 or a 150 heavy gripper if I were you. Even then you might not be able to close it.

What's a good coc gripper to start with? #2? I'm 33 and in decent shape. Rock climbed for years. I have one of those gyro ball trainers but I don't have a grip specific trainer.

I would be surprised if you could close the #2. I'd start with a #1.5 or a 150 heavy gripper if I were you. Even then you might not be able to close it.

Thanks

Thanks

A #2 is much harder than you'd expect. I climbed for a couple years, and I'm a 200+lbs weight lifter. I was no where near close to closing the #2 when I started training with grippers.

Thanks. I ordered a 1.5. Hopefully that's not too much

Might be, might not be. It is a smart one to order because either you will use it eventually or it will be a good one to start on. I can guarantee you it won't be too light. If it is a little too much, order the 150 heavy gripper.

Edited by Wesquire

It's normal for me, and part of my problem is that eventually my left eye starts fighting my right for dominance. I have been working on vision drills to try and train my brain to disregard the ghost image. Only workable solution I have found for me thus far is to obscure the vision out of my left eye with a piece of tape. But I continue to work with a brock string and the drill that Gabe White outlines in this article to try and train my brain and increase the speed at which my eyes work..

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Will probably see an eye doctor in January to see if there are any corrective remedies that i need or could help.

lots of national class shooters (brian enos, matt hopkins) have been known to shoot with tape over the non-dominant eye. I do it. I don't see any point in trying to train my brain to ignore the ghost images. I theorize that it's due to not really having a dominant eye, and perhaps related to a lifetime of action sports where you need the input of both eyes (2-wheel racing, ball sports, skiing, etc...).

I figure it makes more sense to work on things that are important to getting good, and shooting with both eyes open without a piece of tape doesn't appear to be one of them.

It's normal for me, and part of my problem is that eventually my left eye starts fighting my right for dominance. I have been working on vision drills to try and train my brain to disregard the ghost image. Only workable solution I have found for me thus far is to obscure the vision out of my left eye with a piece of tape. But I continue to work with a brock string and the drill that Gabe White outlines in this article to try and train my brain and increase the speed at which my eyes work..

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Will probably see an eye doctor in January to see if there are any corrective remedies that i need or could help.

lots of national class shooters (brian enos, matt hopkins) have been known to shoot with tape over the non-dominant eye. I do it. I don't see any point in trying to train my brain to ignore the ghost images. I theorize that it's due to not really having a dominant eye, and perhaps related to a lifetime of action sports where you need the input of both eyes (2-wheel racing, ball sports, skiing, etc...).

I figure it makes more sense to work on things that are important to getting good, and shooting with both eyes open without a piece of tape doesn't appear to be one of them.

I agree with you for the most part and do shoot with the lense taped. That being said, if I'm ever in a self defense scenario, I probably won't have a set of taped lenses with me. So all things being equal, I'd rather be able to shoot both eyes open with no crutch. Whether that happens or not is the question. It doesn't take away from my actual training to do vision drills, so I see no harm in it. Edited by tha1000

I can almost close it with my strong hand. weak hand not so much.

What is a good routine to start off with and not get injured? I

That's about where I expected you to be. You really need a gripper you can close at least 4-5 times with each hand to start a good program. I approach it the same way as normal weightlifting. Though I typically do higher reps and more sets than a normal lift because I want to build muscular endurance as well as absolute strength. I tend to do it every other day. 5-12 reps and 6 or 7 sets. Occasionally I'll close it and just see how long I can keep it closed with either hand. Do that about 4 sets. Sometimes I'll get one I can't close yet, use both hands to close it and slowly let it out with one hand.

I agree with you for the most part and do shoot with the lense taped. That being said, if I'm ever in a self defense scenario, I probably won't have a set of taped lenses with me. So all things being equal, I'd rather be able to shoot both eyes open with no crutch. Whether that happens or not is the question. It doesn't take away from my actual training to do vision drills, so I see no harm in it.

If I'm ever in a self-defense situation, I probably won't have my race gun or 2-piece belt, and I won't be shooting creampuff 147gr minor loads either. I can hit people-sized targets at 7 yards with my eyes closed, so I don't worry about it too much.

I am very very very unlikely to ever be in a self-defense situation, so I don't bother to worry about it past the point of diminishing returns. I can already shoot better than 99% of gun owners. OTOH, i know for sure that I will be in a uspsa match next week, so it's very important to me to work on the things that will bring me success in that match.

:cheers:

i listened to gun shots from my living room on Saturday night... and again, these vision drills are things I do while sitting at the office on conference calls when I've got nothing else to do. It might be a gross waste of effort, but I don't think it is a waste of time as it doesn't interfere with my training schedule one bit.

i listened to gun shots from my living room on Saturday night... and again, these vision drills are things I do while sitting at the office on conference calls when I've got nothing else to do. It might be a gross waste of effort, but I don't think it is a waste of time as it doesn't interfere with my training schedule one bit.

you should move. in the meantime, it sounds like you have more effort to spare than I do. I wish you success in your endeavors.