Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX Hammers & Extended Firing Pin

girphoto

I need some help, I am also new to revolvers and have a little problem with my Apex hammer that I just received. I was hoping to drop in but it is not quite working out that way. It appears that the sear is a little too long and there is not enough space between the sear and the hammer to let the trigger reset (see picture). My question is this something that I should be taking care of by stoning the edge of the sear to permit more space for the trigger, or should I contact Apex or a gunsmith. I am not sure if the leading edge of the sear is a critical surface or not

attachicon.gifapex sear and trigger.jpg

attachicon.gifApex hammer.jpg

I had a factory replacement for a M29 that had too long of a DA Sear, wasn't a big deal to gradually take it down. If you are thinking of playing with a Revo much and like to work on things yourself, get the Kuhnhausen Manual, it will help explain things.

Hi 1911Prof

I have now changed two of these hammers and the sear is a little long.

I have put one in my 986 and one in my 67-5. Each time I have had to take off a little of the bottom of the sear with a small fife and the hammer locked inn a vise.

Better to take off a little and I mean a little and try the fit. if you need more to come off repeat the process..if you take off to much WELL, you do not want to go there.

I am not sure what gun you are putting this into, but if you take the trigger out be careful of the small SPRING in the trigger.. When it shoots out it is GONE...One gun no problem..The other S&W just sent me a few.

They said to throw them on the ground and maybe the original with come to them :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol: while they are on the work bench.

All kidding aside...Be care flu of that spring..It has a mind of it own

Did you also get the extended firing pin and spring to replace in your Revo?

A good idea as long as you have it apart

Good Luck

I did put in the Apex firing pin as well,I have the trigger weight down to about 6.5 lbs and it has no problems with federal primers. Now i have to get used to iron sights again, I've been shooting open exclusively for so long, this is going to be a real challenge.

• 3 months later...

Two questions...

1. Will putting in a lighter trigger return spring alone help with trigger pull weight?

2. How in the world do your remove the trigger return spring to replace it?

I am new to revolvers. Like less then a couple weeks new.

Thanks, John

Yes - A lighter trigger return spring will reduce the trigger pull weight. However, the trigger may not return well with the original flat mainspring then. You have to have a balance of the 2 springs to work well. Usually a lighter mainspring is required too. You can lighten the mainspring some by bending it forward to reduce the preload tension. I prefer a smooth gradual curve as opposed to a sharp bend.

Brownell's has a tool to remove the rebound spring and slide.

I have a 986 so I believe it has a reduced mainspring already. Not knowing this I purchased the Wolff kit and it came with a 13#, 14# and 15# trigger return spring. I don't know what is currently in the 986. Since my open centerfire pistol may not be finished by the next few event I thought I would try this revolver. Heavy double action and a very tired forearm, lol. Just trying to get it usable so I don't have to cancel or miss out.

Also, is there a guide pin inside the trigger return spring? I was able to safely remove the original spring but then found this pin on my bench. The only place I thought it could have fell out of was inside the spring.

Just try the different rebound springs that came in the kit and see which one you like the best. Probably the lightest one that gives a positive return.

The pin is not a spring guide, it is a worthless wannabe trigger stop. It is too short to do any good, I just toss those.

lmao, considering I nearly crapped myself when I found it laying on the bench that makes me feel much better. I did put it back in the spring and, hesitantly, tested it. It worked so I figured I was right. Nice to know it is useless anyway. I put in the Wolff hammer and 14# trigger return springs and feel a huge difference. Thanks for the answers Toolguy. You just may have saved my upcoming shooting months events. :bow:

lmao, considering I nearly crapped myself when I found it laying on the bench that makes me feel much better. I did put it back in the spring and, hesitantly, tested it. It worked so I figured I was right. Nice to know it is useless anyway. I put in the Wolff hammer and 14# trigger return springs and feel a huge difference. Thanks for the answers Toolguy. You just may have saved my upcoming shooting months events. :bow:

John, are you loading your own ammo (federal primers) , or shooting factory?

If you'll be at LPRGC or OBRPC in the coming weekends, I can bring you an 11lb and 12lb rebound spring, I should have a few spares laying around.

John, are you loading your own ammo (federal primers) , or shooting factory?

If you'll be at LPRGC or OBRPC in the coming weekends, I can bring you an 11lb and 12lb rebound spring, I should have a few spares laying around.

That would be great alecmc. I am reloading my own ammo w/Federal primers and I plan to shoot both OBRPC and LPRGC for practice before the PSA Shootout.