Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone shot a Salient 14.5" rifle gassed gun yet?

bmiller

I to am curious but this quote is problematic for me: “We made a large chamber under a small gas port with another chamber on top. That creates a venturi. The venturi effect forces the gas coming through the port to speed up but also lowers the pressure.”

Excuse my crude drawing but it will illustrate my concern. I'm guessing they increased the diameter of the gas port on both the low and high pressure side. If this is the case, use of the term venturi would be a red herring. The design may very well have a positive effect on the gas system but it isn't a venturi effect. The larger questions for me are:

What is the initial diameter of the gas port in the bore and what effect will the larger size have on the projectile?

Will the reduced length of the actual gas port subject it to faster erosive effects?

SalientGasPort_zps0a2944aa.jpg

I to am curious but this quote is problematic for me: “We made a large chamber under a small gas port with another chamber on top. That creates a venturi. The venturi effect forces the gas coming through the port to speed up but also lowers the pressure.”

Excuse my crude drawing but it will illustrate my concern. I'm guessing they increased the diameter of the gas port on both the low and high pressure side. If this is the case, use of the term venturi would be a red herring. The design may very well have a positive effect on the gas system but it isn't a venturi effect. The larger questions for me are:

SalientGasPort_zps0a2944aa.jpg

Why do think this is not a Venturi effect?

I'm more concerned with erosion. Seems like a venturi will become just a hole fairly quickly.

War Sport has been doing this for a few years so its nothing new. I just don't know how well it works

While the.port as drawn would be a venturi (the gass presuer in the middle of the port would be lower than that.at the inlet or exit) it would have no efect on the operation of the rifle, it would only act as a orafice in the system the same way a straight hole does. Typically venturis are are used to create a lower pressure zone that accomplishes a needed task in this case it looks more like it it's being used as a fancy way to say we beveled the hole so the edges don't erode as quickly

Edited by bikerburgess

Why do think this is not a Venturi effect?

Wrong shape for starters. I contacted them via bookface with a few questions about the design. I haven't received an answer. That being said, it looks like the post linking to the G&A article has been removed from their timeline.

Edited by Mark Gale