Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*thumb rest [generic]* in limited

rack&roll

Where can I find a nice thumb rest (*thumb rest [generic]*) for my limited G-35? I just started shooting it again, and am having a ball! It's extremely accurate since I put a KKM barrel in it, but I'm not used to the .40 S&W recoil as I've been mostly shooting 9mm. A *thumb rest [generic]* would really help me out I think...any suggestions? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

TNA,

I'm getting mine in the mail today. Thanks for the quick shipping! Several questions I wanted to ask: Are these milled from one piece of metal or is the ledge welded on? Also is it steel or aluminum? And finally, do I have to drill the forward hole all the way through the gun or just through one side?

Thanks!

I use a small allen wrench to depress the take down lever. You just stick it in on the offside of the gun and push down. Slide pops right off with no problem. You can also just loosen the back screw and drop the thumb rest down to take it down. I love mine!

Thumb rests are machined from 6061 Aluminum bar stock. You will have to drill a hole completely through your frame for the front mounting hole and relieve the inside of the guide rod tunnel for the nut. I recommend using a mill(faster) but it can be done with a dremel tool. I can post pictures of the guide rod tunnel if you like.

Got mine installed last night. It took a hot minute, but it looks good so far. I still have to shoot it, which I will try to do later today. I installed this on a Glock 24 (hybrid). Pics to follow.

Comments thus far:

1. I was surprised to receive the install tools (two drills bits and allen key).

2. Instructions were straight forward, but no pictures. There's probably a youtube video out there already which I wish I had the link to.

3. You can tighten the back screw to the extent that it would affect trigger pull by tightening it too much.

4. Alignment is key for the front screw. So start off with smaller bits before going to a bit that the kit came with. (Probably goes without saying).

5. A relief must be milled or "dremeled" out for the front screw nut on the inside portion of the gun, otherwise your recoil rod and spring will hangup on the nut. If you use a dremel, use duct tape to protect that areas you are not dremelling. It's a tight space and I feel like I'm a dentist trying to carefully drill out a shallow cavity.

6. I used a tiny o-ring instead of loctite for the back screw, as I have a feeling that it will probably back out over time due to recoil if nothing is used.

7. So far I think it's a smart design. You have to have the right tools for the job though. I'm very curious to see if these additional holes compromise the structural integrity of the gun. But more importantly, I'm interested in knowing if the .40 recoil is overly pronounced on my support hand thumb. There is severe recoil on the thumb when using the SJC dowel when shooting 9mm Major.

No issue with the thumb rest during test fire. I fired roughly 100 rounds and it appeared that the front sight came into view slightly quicker as expected. It will take time to get used to as all new things you add to a pistol. Essentially my grip has had to change a wee-bit to make the most of the location of where the thumb rest sits. I'm sure an adjustable one will eventually become available at some point in time, but for now, it gets the job done. I've got an indoor USPSA match tomorrow night and I plan on putting it through its paces in Lim10 and Limited.

I placed in Lim10 and Limited utilizing this thumb rest, while finishing in the top 3 overall during my Tuesday night match. I'm quite satisfied with the outcome. I highly recommend the use of this device for anyone willing to take a shot at shooting Lim10/Limited with a Glock. We are a minority in that Division, but I honestly think that this thumb rest will somewhat even the playing field against the plethora of 2011s that dominate the circuit.

http://youtu.be/GqOIDZCVb1U

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=b0472552-1831-47a7-8a58-5eebcf6384b6&page=stage0-combined

• 3 months later...