Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 38 Short Colt brass

mcb

I might get run out of the forum on a rail for trying to use 38SC brass that is not Starline but I am going to risk it. So I had bought some Remington 38 Short Colt loaded ammunition back when I first got my 627. It made about a 77PF; it was amusing to shoot, but otherwise useless. Well that brass laid around my reloading area until last week when I ran that brass through my reloader. I put some on my moonclips after this weekends match and was very pleased with how well it fit. I am using Revolver Supply's 0.025 thick moonclips and the Remington 38SC brass fit as nice on those moonclips as I have seen Starline fit on TK moonclips made specific for Starline. So I thought I might see if I can buy some Remington Short Colt brass hoping the combination of Remington brass and Revolver Supply moonclips could be significantly cheaper than Startline and TK moonclip. But alas I can't seem to find anyone that carries new unloaded Remington 38 Short Colt brass only the loaded ammunition. Anyone every see some?

I have seen it, A friend of mine scarfed almost 1000 pieces but it was at a gunshop catering to the antique handguns. Search around and you may find some. Or do the labor and get some RP specials and cut them down. And then be ready with your flamesuit for thinking about doing all that work.

Cutting the 38 special brass is ez to do... (Make sure to wear safety glasses). There are posts on this revolver site about this ...(The $27 Harbor Freight saw is good to go (buy the extra cutting wheels and save yourself a trip). I've posted my way using a socket as a guide. I'd think you will be plain lucky to fine Rem. short colt brass itself...Good to see you have ventured over to the "dark side" Roger...Mike in AZ..

Wouldn't the price of once fired brass, and the time put in, negate any savings?

mcb, maybe you have seen starline in TKs, but have you seen starline in hearthco's? Very different fit....

The fit with Remington brass is better than Starline but I am not sure it's good enough to justify the effort of cutting down 38 Specials. I thought if I could buy some Remington 38 Short Colt brass I could get a tight brass-moonclip combination similar to what I have seen with Starline and TK or Hearthco without the cost. As it presently is Starline and Revolver Supply moonclips are pretty good, just not as good as Starline and TK or Hearthco.

remvsstarfront.jpg

Left: Starline brass & Revolver Supply Moonclips Right: Remington brass and & Revolver Supply Moonclips

remvsstarside.jpg

Left: Starline brass & Revolver Supply Moonclips Right: Remington brass and & Revolver Supply Moonclips

The Harbor Freight saw is way fast once you get your technique down... I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to hold the primer end in the socket/guide and then used the same screwdriver to push the cut case out of my socket/guide, then added a new case and continued on and on. IF your a KLUTZ ?, this ain't for you!.

The slower method would be the case trimmer powered by your electric drill.... I put the trimmer in one of those Walmart plastic boxes w/lid, to keep the mess down (cut small holes in either end to allow for drill and cutter movement, added a couple of screws in the base to eliminate any other movement.... (NO bitching about the mess from you know who)...

Are any of you having size issues? I tried cutting .38 spl down and ended up having to ream the inside to be able to seat and not have a bulge that would keep the round from entering the chamber. Using 160 gr. .358 lrn from SNS.

Paul

Are any of you having size issues? I tried cutting .38 spl down and ended up having to ream the inside to be able to seat and not have a bulge that would keep the round from entering the chamber. Using 160 gr. .358 lrn from SNS.

Paul

How long are you loading them? My load with a 160gr coated LRN is 1.190.