Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Sniper (film)

Jman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you've read the book, read this story. a bit long, but it sure makes you think.

http://mpmacting.com/blog/2014/7/19/truth-justice-and-the-curious-case-of-chris-kyle

A relatively old post but i feel compelled to reply. The fact that Chris Kyle lied about certain aspects of his private life has been established. They do not however overshadow nor diminish his performance in the service of his country. Although I have no proof, I highly suspect, and would even be inclined to bet money that the 'embellishments' in his book were due either to creative writing by the two people who helped author the book, the effects of PTSD on Chris, or a combination of the the two. My best guess would be the PTSD. Normally, I hold great disdain for liars, but in this case, I truly believe it was brought on by circumstances beyond his control. Regardless of the cause, as stated earlier, his record stands for itself - period.

As for Ventura, if he was worth 2 dead flies, he would have accepted the decision that the incident never took place and refused the monetary settlement. Taya Kyle, Chris's widow, along with his children deserve it far more than Ventura ever could.

BTW: I thought the movie was great for two reasons: it showed some of conditions our soldiers have to face, and the mental effects those conditions can have. Tom Brokaw proclaimed the generation that fought WWII the Greatest Generation, and I don't disagree. What Tom doesn't mention however were the number of casualties suffered after the war in terms of broken marriages, abused wives and children, alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse, and suicides, all brought on by a condition no one knew of - PTSD. It wasn't until after Vietnam that people began to take notice of this and start to look at it as a problem. It remains today one of the largest problems our troops face, and one that our government underestimates and underfunds help for.

Edited by Tom S.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seen the movie and read the book. I enjoyed both and own them both. I'd like to believe every part of the book, but the article from earlier makes some very good points. Those points have me perplexed. Nevertheless I still like the book and movie and consider all of our service men and women to be heroes.

• 1 month later...