Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question , if a primer pocket on the inside of the brass...

chopps

Oh this was the 2nd time the brass was loaded and it was shot out on a remmy 223 1x8 twist barrel. I shot the same plus higher loads a few days back and saw this on primers from 24.8 and up but none on 24.5 and below. Today i saw it on the pics and kinda baffles me now.

Both days ammo was stored in basement nice and cool and maybe 10 to 15 degrees cooler today.

Reason i ask about the enlarged primer pockets is i punched these out before i got a press with a small pic/punch and on a few i had to work to get the punch out of the brass a little on some as it went to far in them unfortunately which now i know better to. Now i use my dillon press to get primers out.

Edited by chopps

On a .223 got slightly enlarged would it flatten/pancake the cci primer like so ?

Reason i ask about the enlarged primer pockets is i punched these out before i got a press with a small pic/punch and on a few i had to work to get the punch out of the brass a little on some as it went to far in them unfortunately which now i know better to. Now i use my dillon press to get primers out.

Wait a second, you removed the primers by taking a punch through the case and hitting the primer out and the punch got stuck? If the punch got stock, I assume it was hanging up on the primer flash hole (not on the primer pocket) which would potentially enlarge the hole to some extent.

Honestly, the primers in your first picture don't even look flattened to me, nothing I would give a second look.

Yes i did them before i had a press probaby a year before hand. The 24.2 s look ok to me to but the ones i was really concerned about were the 24.2 to 24.5 ones.

Trust me i would never do the punch thing again and i did that a year prior just messing around thinking i would never use them but i figured they would be ok for a ladder test.

Now in hindsight i am not so sure.

I have some once shot remingtons now that i will redo the latter part of the test again from 24.0 to 24.5 just trying to maybe understand what happened is all.

Thanks

On a .223 got slightly enlarged would it flatten/pancake the cci primer like so ?

Wait a second, you removed the primers by taking a punch through the case and hitting the primer out and the punch got stuck? If the punch got stock, I assume it was hanging up on the primer flash hole (not on the primer pocket) which would potentially enlarge the hole to some extent.

Honestly, the primers in your first picture don't even look flattened to me, nothing I would give a second look.

Doing it with the punch is ok, just slow. Actually it might equalize the size of the flash holes which equipment is sold to do so. Usually a bench rest trick as they grope for another .001 reduction in group size.

Doing it with the punch is ok, just slow. Actually it might equalize the size of the flash holes which equipment is sold to do so. Usually a bench rest trick as they grope for another .001 reduction in group size.

Doing it with a punch while knocking out the primers would be a terribly unsophisticated and inconsistent way at enlarging and equalizing the primer flash hole.

Regardless, I'd get rid of those brass unless you want to inspect each one and measure the primer flash hole to make sure none of them are too damaged or inconsistent. It isn't the end of the world, those brass are likely to be more inconsistent than anything else. I don't see an issue with the primers in the first post.

Ok,

it just looked to me that the 24.5 looked like they were flat or pancake and wanted to make sure was all.

Going to set my powder at 24.4 to account for 1/10 th of a grain varience when loading with my dillon 650.

I Don't mind loading each one and measuring it separately but sometimes just want to let the press do its thing.

Going to toss that brass as it was the 2nd load after factory and was resized a few times and experimented with.

Got some Remington brass I just shot and will do the final accuracy and pressure test with it on 69 & 77 grain.

Thanks to all for the info and answers.

Edited by chopps

What powder are you loading? Are you with specs for that round?

Doesn't look over pressure to me. Flatted primers would not have that bevel on the outside of the primer pocket.

Each different manufacturer has different hardness of brass. Google the chart that's floating around the internet.

I reload on a Dillon 550, doing each round individually so that I can feel the neck tension when seating the bullet. If loaded correctly, and not to maximum, the brass will last a long time. Case neck splitting from over working the brass is my signal to toss out the brass.

Larger flash hole could cause initial overpressure, since it will ignite the powder intensely, working like a magnum primer.

What powder are you loading? Are you with specs for that round?Doesn't look over pressure to me. Flatted primers would not have that bevel on the outside of the primer pocket.Each different manufacturer has different hardness of brass. Google the chart that's floating around the internet.I reload on a Dillon 550, doing each round individually so that I can feel the neck tension when seating the bullet. If loaded correctly, and not to maximum, the brass will last a long time. Case neck splitting from over working the brass is my signal to toss out the brass.Larger flash hole could cause initial overpressure, since it will ignite the powder intensely, working like a magnum primer.

Varget,

yes well within specs of the load per sierra, lyman and hodgdon.

See, now that was pertinent information that SHOULD have been in the first post...

It's a bit like asking a mechanic why your car doesn't run, and having him go through all the things it could be, then telling him that the engine has a hole in the side where a connecting rod went through.

Nothing wrong with those loads or the brass. Primers look perfectly fine. As mentioned, you could possibly experience some small amount of inconsistency related to different size flash holes, but nothing to worry about at all for blasting ammo.

See, now that was pertinent information that SHOULD have been in the first post...

It's a bit like asking a mechanic why your car doesn't run, and having him go through all the things it could be, then telling him that the engine has a hole in the side where a connecting rod went through.

Thanks for the help.

Your primers look fine. What kind of primers are they? CCI's? CCIs are harder primers them some of the others out there. 24.2 with Varget and a 77g is a standard load. depending, some guys go a little hotter. Do not enlarge primer pockets or the flash holes; if it was worth something someone would have done it. You would also get more pressure on the primer which is not good. You can uniform the flash holes if you want to.