Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go with RN or RNFP?

mikeinctown

Ready to start loading .45 and am trying to decide which bullets to go with. I purchased a pack of 100 Zero 230gn FMJ bullets at a show on saturday but am looking for cheaper that I will buy in quantity and use long term. I am currently only going to use it in a Sig 1911, but am also looking to get an FNX45 or a P227 down the road. (or possibly something else depending on deal)

Xtreme bullets has the plated .45 round nose for ~$60/500

Bayou Bullets 230gn round nose for ~$52/500

Blue Bullets 230gn RN flat point ~$52/500 depending on qty ordered. ($60 for a flat rate 500ct box)

Black Bullets also has the plain 230gn round nose for about the same price as the other coated bullets.

Blue Bullets sells the .40 and 9mm sizes that I am planning on using on other calibers, but I am wondering how the flat point will feed on the 1911. Everything I have fed through it so far has been plain round nose. Also wondering if the flat point will affect OAL and the charge. Most loading recipes I have seen are all for RN.

If anyone has experience with the Blue Bullets 230gn I'd like to know how they work for you and what you use them in.

Edited by mikeinctown

I personally like the 200gr RN Xtremes ($5 per 500 cheaper). I have shot the 230's as well.

My 1911 has always fed FP bullets just fine, but each is different. The only bullet my 1911 really would not feed were plated or jacketed semi wad cutters. It would feed lead SWC but you would never make it through a magazine with the copper.

The FP bullets will likely have a different OAL, but not in a way that is likely to affect case capacity significantly. That is determined by the amount of bullet seated in the case which I would expect to be similar in bullets of equal weight.

Xtreme's 225 grain .45 FP is the most accurate bullet I have ever fired in my M&P (including premium factory loads), and a friend with a Springfield 1911 also finds it very accurate. It may cost a couple bucks more per 500 than lead bullets, but it's worth it to me.

Thanks for the input. I also got a reply from Nathan at Blue Bullets who said that they do not change the OAL on the FP bullets they load. I guess if anything, the FP would not seat as far into the case. I went with a small sample pack of the Blue Bullets to see how they function. I may also order some Xtreme bullets as they have their free shipping promotion that ends today. Though I have noticed that the prices fluctuate with the Xtreme bullets. Might have ordered from one of the other places as well, but the lak of a sample pack combined with higher shipping charges made me think twice.

I would stock up on Zero bullets, myself.

RN or FN? FN tends to be more accurate for me (but the flat nose has to be large enough to actually change the bearing surface length sufficiently), but, unless you need to extra accuracy...

Zero 230 gn FMJ: inn stock for $226/2000 at PowderValley (11.3 cents/bullet).

I used to go to Precision Delta, but they are currently charging $136/1000 for 2000+ (almost 14 cents/bullet), which makes the more accurate Zeros an even better value. You need to order 10,000+ to get the price down to $128/1000 (almost 13 cents/bullet)

No plated bullet will be as accurate and, at $59.53/500 from X-treme (11.9 cents/bullet), certainly not any cheaper.

If I was to use lead bullets (about all I actually do use) and if smoke was a problem to me (which it hasn't been), then I would look at Precision Bullets. They are swaged (accuracy and consistency) and the coating does everything I could ask from a coating. However, at $199/2000 (10 cents/bullet), they don't save enough money for me.

So, for practice and some matches, I would be more than happy with mastercastbullets.com 230gn L-RN for $90/1000 (or 9 cents/bullet). However, if prices stay as they are, I would just be stocking up on all the Zeros I can find.

Again, I would stock up on a suitable bullet and not chase the "perfect" bullet.

Edited by noylj

Thanks on the tip for Powder Valley on the Zero Bullets. The Zeros I bought at the show are priced at $16/100. I inquired with the local supplier about discounts for 1k and 2k but have not heard back. From Powder Valley with shipping to me I am at $.12 each vs $.11 each if I stay with the Blue Bullets.

Going to load up some of the Zeros and BB this weekend and see how they work for me with various loads.

I have to say though that I am impressed with the coating on the Blue Bullets. It's pretty thick and tough and I could not scratch it off easily like I could with a sample bullet I got with another coating. It also feels slick as well, which I did not expect.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the first batch I made of the Blue Bullets and TiteGroup and am satisfied, though I was getting quite a bit of muzzle flash vs what I get with factory ammo. a bit more kick as well, even though my 3 different test loads were 4.3 4.4 and 4.5. I felt the 4.4 and 4.5 were the most accurate, though it could just be me having gotten used to the gun as time went on. The data in the Lyman book would indicate my findings were correct though as they list starting points for TiteGroup of around 4.5. No keyholes from any of the rounds and for the most part they chambered easily. (really need to get a couple Wilson Combat mags)

I inquired about the FMJ Zero bullets from my local source and will NOT be buying from them. 100ct packs are $16 but if I wanted 1,000 I was told it would be $175. HUH????

My next test will be with the FMJ 230gn that I bought. I think the 4.5 is what I'll stick with for now, though I'm wondering if maybe Unique would work better?

I shoot a Sig Tacops 1911 45 ACP and I load TC (Truncated Cone) bullets to 1.200" COL. They are accurate at lower velocities than RN and never fail to feed. The RNFP bullets are very similar to the TC. I prefer the 200gr bullets, but the 230gr TC makes an awesome pin round.