Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

remove chamber indicater: Production Legal?

colbyjack

I got a xdm I shoot in production. I practice with home casted soft lead. The lube and nasty gunk jams up the chamber indicater. So it's always sticking up. I know it don't hurt nothing. But my inner OCD it drives me nuts.

If i remove the loaded chamber indicater is the xdm still production legal?

It depends on how you classify it (internal or external) and whether it is considered a "safety mechanism."

From the Production section of the rulebook:

"ALL factory safety mechanisms, whether internal or external, must remain functional."

Of course it does allow you to disable a mag break so who knows. I am guessing you would get different answers from lots of reasonable RMs.

Edited by alma

I would lean towards illegal. The rule book talks about "replacement" parts. In my opinion "removing" the part does two things. It changes the outward appearance of the gun and it affects the weight of the gun.

And then of course there are the 2-3 warnings in D4 that say if you can't find a rule or interpretation concerning your mod then it is prohibited.

I was told by Amidon that not having the slide stop in place would make it an illegal gun on my XDM40 a couple of years ago. I don't have the email anymore, but basically, all of the parts have to be there, no matter what the purpose.

Can you remove any of it that isn't visible from the outside that would help the problem ???

Bingo. Buy replacement indicator, grind off the tab that contacts the case rim, install in gun, problem solved.

Isn't the XDM indicator plastic? Why not just cut it off with a razor blade?

It depends on how you classify it (internal or external) and whether it is considered a "safety mechanism."

"ALL factory safety mechanisms, whether internal or external, must remain functional."

Of course it does allow you to disable a mag break so who knows. I am guessing you would get different answers from lots of reasonable RMs.

Agree, if an RO/Chrono RO considers it a "factory safety mechanism" then disabling it is not permitted in Production division.

So is it a "factory safety mechanism" ??

:)

Eric

Agree, if an RO/Chrono RO considers it a "factory safety mechanism" then disabling it is not permitted in Production division.

So is it a "factory safety mechanism" ??

:)

Eric

I would be inclined to define a safety mechanism as something that prevents the gun from firing. A loaded chamber indicator only let's you know there is a round in there it does not keep the gun from firing or allow it to fire.