Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tested ETR7 Powder....

hcf1976

Done testing with 180gr BBI bullets 40cal with the ETR7 powder today and got good results it meters good and is very clean burning powder.... Its very close to TiteGroup as it says it was 50fps slower than TiteGroup with same load..

• 3 months later...

I've been stalking their company for a bit to see how production and powder availability is. I'll be trying to use the powder for some 20ga loads. Found their coupon code on their instagram account. Seem's like the code 'ChrisK' will get you an additional 1% off. Every little bit helps I guess

ETR7 has dropped to $85.00 for a 4 lb jug. Heading in the right direction.

It needs to head that way. It seems to run fine. But $100/4# was a business model that basically depends on a market where you can't find anything else.

I actually had good results when I ran it through a chrono last month, and some more testing last night of the same batch of ammo with a new gun got similar results. As long as you aren't trying to push things by going for minor power factor with 165g bullets or something, it has a low standard deviation and low smoke, and it feeds well in a Dillon press. My only real complaints were the price and their woefully uninformative reloading data. Would it kill them to include a test barrel length, and some velocities to go with those powders? Because any data that says you need more powder for a minimum load for lead bullets than you do for FMJ immediately seems questionable to me.

NOTE: It's on sale at $60/4# right now on their site. They apparently are overstocked.

I went by there yesterday and asked about the loading data. The owner told me that published data was going to be BIG bucks and they did not have the capitol for that at the moment but it would be coming soon. Ben at Alliant backed up their story about the price of renting a ballistics lab for research so I guess we will eventually get some pressure tested load data for this stuff in the not too distant future just after we all figure it out for ourselves.

But if they can give a chart with recommended min and max loads, there had to be some basis for that. Including what the test gun was, or at least test barrel length, along with the velocity achieved at the min and max loads, seems pretty straight forward to me. They didn't just pull those numbers out of their butts.

If I can list the temperature, gun used, and velocities I got for various charges, they can manage the same thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Done testing with 180gr BBI bullets 40cal with the ETR7 powder today and got good results it meters good and is very clean burning powder.... Its very close to TiteGroup as it says it was 50fps slower than TiteGroup with same load..

In my guns using X-Treme plated 40 cal 180 grain bullets, it was closer to W231 than Tightgroup. I had to go up to 5.1 grain (+0.1 grain over their max recommended load) to get a consistant 170PF, very close to predicted W231 performance. Tightgroup data suggested I'd need about 0.5 grain less. I am loading to 1.150"-1.155" COL so I'm not suprised I needed a tad more than recommended.

• 2 weeks later...