Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets and Titegroup?

kamikaze1a

With the scarce pistol powders I need to be less choosy. Titegroup and conventional cast bullets is very smokey and as I recall the same with moly coated too.

How is Titegroup with the new HI-Tek coating? I am seeing a lot less smoke with the new coating with the powder I do load but no more Titegroup to left to try.

Anyone try it with the new coated bullets?

Good timing on this thread, was just coming to post the same question!

I've been loading SNS 125gr with TG lately w/out any immediately seen/noticed issues, but shooting outdoors, and recently mostly in matches vs any slower range time.

I've seen the comment several times about not using TG for lead (which makes sense), or coated lead, and wondering on the latter, e.g. Hi-Tek.

I suppose one of these days I'll have to load up 400-500 and do a session, then check the barrel, vs the ~100-140 per match then clean I've been doing lately.

Anyone else loading TG in 9mm Minor and coated, and having (or not) any issues?

I did a bunch of similar research on using TG with Hi-Tek coated bullets (as well as with FMJ with the open base) and found that no one had issues with smoke with the Hi-Tek coated bullets. I have a couple thousand coming from SNS to try soon. I tried TG with the FMJ with the open base (lead exposed) and also had no issue with smoke or leading.

I did a bunch of similar research on using TG with Hi-Tek coated bullets (as well as with FMJ with the open base) and found that no one had issues with smoke with the Hi-Tek coated bullets. I have a couple thousand coming from SNS to try soon. I tried TG with the FMJ with the open base (lead exposed) and also had no issue with smoke or leading.

Awesome; thanks.

I'll still keep an eye on it, but it does add to my comfort factor a bit, especially as while I probably still have ~5k MGs on hand, I've got thousands and Hi-Teks on hand and am likely shifting over completely to them...while I have a dozen lbs of TG on hand. ;)

Good timing on this thread, was just coming to post the same question!

I've been loading SNS 125gr with TG lately w/out any immediately seen/noticed issues, but shooting outdoors, and recently mostly in matches vs any slower range time.

I've seen the comment several times about not using TG for lead (which makes sense), or coated lead, and wondering on the latter, e.g. Hi-Tek.

I suppose one of these days I'll have to load up 400-500 and do a session, then check the barrel, vs the ~100-140 per match then clean I've been doing lately.

Anyone else loading TG in 9mm Minor and coated, and having (or not) any issues?

My steel challenge load is a coated 100 gr SWC ibejihead over 3.4 gr titegroup, makes a 109 PF. Hard to get much more minor than that, it runs clean with no smoke and is very accurate.

I ran some 9mm outside today, 124g Hi-Tek coated ones and some of the 125g Blue Bullets (polymer) over Titegroup in minor loads. Neither smoked much, certainly nothing anyone I was shooting with noticed so unless you were paying attention, it wasn't noticeable.

Whose bullets, and what load or PF?

I ran some 147 gr 9mm with the new HiTek coating with titegroup and watched my friend shoot them in a match. He said it didn't bother him, but there was a lot of smoke.

Those particular ones were SNS 147gr with 3.2 gr of TG. I normally run N320 with no issues, but I wanted to see what TG looked like since it is half the price.

Whose bullets, and what load or PF?

I ran some 147 gr 9mm with the new HiTek coating with titegroup and watched my friend shoot them in a match. He said it didn't bother him, but there was a lot of smoke.

Those particular ones were SNS 147gr with 3.2 gr of TG. I normally run N320 with no issues, but I wanted to see what TG looked like since it is half the price.

Hmm. Just shot a match this past weekend, but was all MGs loaded with TG this time. Will have to do another batch of SNS 125gr with TG, and pay more attention next time. I think I have some BBI 125 and Bayou 147s on hand, too. I'm just not remembering any smoke of significance (w/SNS 125gr), but will see if I can watch my buddy shoot off a few rounds of each next time..