Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell Loadout for Match

aandabooks

I'm going to tryout a local 3 gun match at the end of October. I haven't done any 3 gun but bought myself a Mossberg 930JM 24" to begin with. I intend to run my AR and SA XDM 5.25" 9mm.

My history with shotguns has always been hunting and a little trap. I'm a bit confused by what loads I will need for 3 gun and where to get the best prices. What I generally keep on hand is a bunch of 6, 7.5, 8 loads for squirrel, rabbit and trap. I'm in IL so I shoot sabot slugs for deer. I keep some 00 on hand for home defense.

What is the common loadout for 3 gun? I know for slugs I'll probably pick up some 1oz lead slugs. What shot size am I looking for and where do I find decent prices?

My shotgun bag right now probably contains 150 rounds of birdshot (split fairly evenly between #6 and 7.5/8), 25 slugs, and 25 rounds of 00 Buck. I could grab it and hit a match, without needing to worry about equipment or supplies.

Now, typically I'd look at the published stages to get an idea of round count -- for a straight shotgun match I might need more ammo; for a heavy-duty tac match I might want to pack more slugs or buckshot. For the routine match though, it's the right load out....