Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 9mm VS Glock 17

RMark

I picked up a XDM 5.25 9mm Competition over a year ago, for IDPA and USPSA. Everything is works great. I have done nothing but shoot the XDM. I pick up a Glock 17 Gen4 about 6 months ago for CCW. I added TTI sight and 3.25# connector,. now the triggers are about the same. I have over 1000 thru both guns, I like both, and both working great. I shot both of these guns together, Sunday for the first. I shot the XDM mostly, draws and double taps, etc. Then I shot the Glock, I could tell right away that the Glock's sights stayed on target much better. I swapped back and forth many times, with the same results, with the same ammo. I was puzzled. The XDM is a heavier gun, what is up? I ran out of ammo that I could shoot in both gun ( Glock's need jacketed bullets).

But, this has got me thinking about going to a Glock 34 for match shooting. Some plus for the Glock would be, grips would be the same, holster and mags would interchange, minus would be having to shoot jacketed or plated bullets. Adding Fiber sights.is a cost. The XDM comes good as is.

Does the XDM need a lighter recoil spring, or what ever? Give me your input.

Mark

Yeah, the bore axis thingy is a deciding factor for a good many folks when it comes to choosing the XDM or Glock. Some folks don't like the low bore axis of a Glock, and for some it feels more natural. It's personal preference. Sounds like your goanna be Glock shooter.

Or you may be able to bring the XDM's jumpiness under control with a solid guide rod, reduced spring, etc. I'm a new convert to solid guide rods - could definitely see some improvement in keeping the sights on target.

Bore axis, sight length radius (5.25 vs 4.7), bomar rear sights... I have the same problem running my XD Tactical (Dawson front fiber/warren rear) or Glock 17 (warren fiber front and warren rear) then switching to the 5.25. It takes a little bit to re-adjust to the 5.25, but when you do it's a tack driver.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the tungsten carbide insert for the stock guide rod and it reduced the flip of my 5.25/9mm but it was too heavy to be legal. The solid stainless guide rod is supposed to be legal for weight, a little lighter, and in the little bit of time with I've had with it I think it is helpful.