Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shooting instruction books?

pcg

Besides Enos' "Practical Shooting," what's your top recommendation for follow up pistol shooting books? (I'm disappointed that Brian never wrote a second how-to...) There are several sold on this site, but look as I may, I haven't found any "Top 5 Shooting Books" type of lists anywhere.

All suggestions appreciated!

Trying basically to supplement Brian's book. I'm not specifically focused on IDPA or other books that are competitive shooting-oriented. My focus is more a personal quest for accuracy, speed, varying stances. I'd like as a personal quest to become damned good without being boxed into the competitive shooting formats. Most of the books I'm seeing are dry fire drills, or mental focusing, or... It's a bit confusing, and I've been hoping there might be an obvious "next" book that supplemented Brian's.

Thanks, btw.

It is going to become increasingly difficult to be damned good without being boxed into a competitive format. By that I mean you need to shoot everything you can at anytime in any shooting format, so now your goal is cray cray difficult. Start with goal setting and start small.

Edited by A-shot

Fair enough. Let me word this slightly differently. I'm trying to become well rounded, and good. Most of the books I have seen are oriented around one of the two major practical shooting competitions. Perhaps I'm wrong, but at this juncture I'm seeking to be a better than average shooter, without being boxed into one of those two formats. Does that make sense? And if so, is there a second text beyond Brian's that I should be reading?

Ben,Steve Anderson,Saul.and Mike Seeklander.

I have a stack of books, and can zen my way through anything, even throw cash at it if it doesn't work. But it still isn't going to make me a better shooter. I started so young. I had a gun in my hands at 6. I don't win medals. They're all going to tell you to get to work improving yourself. I don't mind being boxed in so I really went with every name already listed. And Matt Burkett at Predator writes some great content once you actually do get boxed in.

Sage advice, I suspect. You're saying, "Stop reading. Start shooting." I'm doing both, but am old enough myself to understand when I hear good advice. That single book, that "magic bullet" (bad pun), isn't a substitute for getting a lot of lead dust on my fingers.

Thanks.

Sage advice, I suspect. You're saying, "Stop reading. Start shooting." I'm doing both, but am old enough myself to understand when I hear good advice. That single book, that "magic bullet" (bad pun), isn't a substitute for getting a lot of lead dust on my fingers.

Thanks.

I disagree with this. Sure you can stop reading and start shooting. I have seen people that shoot a ton and still never figure anything out.

If you are trying to figure out technique get some one at your club to help you out. Ammo is expensive you don't want to waste it.

The books help you figure out how to train. They all do it a little differently. I find that I use bits a pieces form all of them. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks, all, for the comments. I'm planning on picking up Seeklander's book (Competition Handgun), Stoeger's Dry-Fire Training and Burkett's Practical Shooting Manual. And I'll continue shooting at the same weekly frequency.

As AWLAZS says, there'll be useful bits in all of them.

--Pat

Thanks. And I agree that Brian's book is timeless. I'm rereading it now, and am constantly amazed at the thought that underlies it all.

Now, with that info in mind, go to the range, shoot a couple hundred rounds and apply what you learned from the book to confirm it. Then go back and read it again, having first hand knowledge of the effects and you will have an even better understanding of it. :)

Ben,Steve Anderson,Saul.and Mike Seeklander.

I have spent too much money over the years buying books and I think I own them all ;)

The books written by the above authors are by far the best I have. Thanks AWLAZS! Additionally "Practical Shooting" by Enos is a book that needs to be read several times as you evolve as a shooter. The first time I read it, there were parts that I thought Brian was on some type of acid trip. Now years later those sections make sense! I didn't know, what I didin't know! I try to re-read it (or at least parts of it) every year.

Here's some more: Mike Plaxco's Shooting From Within, Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner. Classic books with lots of technique and terminology intrinsic to action shooting. Some of the techniques have changed- Bill Jordan's book is from 1965 and holsters were leather, Mike Plaxco's book is almost 25 years old , but the concepts are still the same. Trigger control, accuracy, gun choices all of it. I love dwell time. Great concept. A new book is Ben Stoeger's Dry Fire Techniques for the Practical Pistol Shooter. Very lean, to the point, how to practice book. Excellent. Have fun.

Ordering Stoeger's "Dry Fire Techniques" shortly. I bought, read and was mildly disappointed by Burkett's Practical Shooting Manual. (I'm afraid that Brian's book has set an extraordinarily high bar.)

I think maybe at one time I was in the same boat as you or maybe looking for the same thing. I wasn't really interested in any kind of organized shooting sport, I just wanted to make my way through the basic stuff and eventually to a higher level of understanding. Like others have said, I read a lot and watched a ton of videos. I never did find what I was looking for in one place. I took information and learned from practical shooters, stand and shoot bullseye shooters, Bianchi type shooters and long range rifle shooters, steel challenge shooters, etc, etc, I put all that information together, and went through a ton of ammo to get to a level of understanding I was looking for. Not that I know it all because I'm sure there is much more to learn, but now if only my shooting was at the same level of my understanding. But, maybe that's the fun of it all; that quest that goes on, and on.

Good summary, grapemeister, of my own mindset. The competition thing seems to be an end in itself, and I've been sucked into that sort of thing too often. I have a full life already, and one more regimented activity just lacks appeal at the moment.

Although Brian's book was written following his own years of competition, it is about many things in addition to shooting. And the more ammo I burn, the more I understand his insights. It's about self discovery and awareness. The rest doesn't really turn me on.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading Brian's book a few years ago, I went to a one day shooting instruction class taught by Angus on shooting steel. During the class I finally felt what Brian discusses in his book, I found clarity! I dropped the illusion of how, I thought I should see things while I shot, and embraced the “call your shot” mentality. I really feel like if I did the class first then read Brian's book, I would have lost out on that feeling.

Matt's book was one of the first practical pistol focused manuals, and it could certainly be re-written. Some decent info, but not top-drawer by any stretch.

If I had to pick 5 books, based on what you have asked for...

Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals

Thinking Practical Shooting

Your ____ Handgun Training Program (Competition or Defensive)

With Winning in Mind

The Talent Code

Some of the specialized books are what I call prescriptive. The author has a singular view and presents what he (or she) thinks works best for them and their style. The problem with that is that their style and strengths may not be your style and strengths (weaknesses also). These 5 do not really get that prescriptive on technique, but rather lead you to explore your own learning style, motivations and in essence, become your own coach. I believe that these 5 are also worthy of multiple reads as you progress through your maturation as a shooter, in whatever disciplines you choose. I am also a big believer in finding a coach and a training partner and keeping logs and metrics of your performance.

That is all said with my personal bias, analytics, playing a huge role. Some are skilled at self analysis and modification of techniques to personal style all the while understanding personal strengths and weaknesses. Others are better at other skills...not good or bad, just different. In any event, at some point, a coach, who you pay money to (after a good interview) is one of the better investments you can make. For some this comes at the beginning to undue bad habits, others after some serious work on your own. Just remember, the actual fundamentals have not changed since the first round ever was fired...sights on the target when the gun fires.

Stoeger's "Dry Fire Techniques" is proving to be important. 40 to 42 drills, 90% well thought out, which I'm working through. Compared to Burkett's book, it's superb. Little ego out there, important technique stuff: Stoeger impresses me.

• 1 month later...